Last modified: 2011-07-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: watertown yacht club | united states yacht club | massachusetts |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 20 July 2010
The Watertown Yacht Club (WYC), founded in 1940 and incorporated on 21 September 1942, is situated at Sunset Bay on the Charles River. The oldest document related to the WYC, dated 7 November 1941, mentions a to-be founded Riverton Yacht Club. On the first regular business meeting of the new club, 18 December 1941, its current name was unanimously accepted.
The burgee of the WYC is blue with two red triangles placed along the hoist, each charged with a white star, and a stylized white "W" in the blue field. The detailed historical account of the WYC reports the adoption of the burgee, also on 18 December 1941, as follows:
"The newly formed Burgee Committee presented three different proposed designs, none of which were found to be used elsewhere according to Lloyd's Register of Yacht Clubs. After due deliberation (some purists felt that a letter on a burgee was too radical) a burgee design was finally selected and fifty burgees were ordered. They sold for a dollar each for cotton and two dollar for wool with a 15 cent surcharge levied on each burgee to pay for the club's large burgee".
www.watertownyachtclub.org/Hist6.jpg - Photo dated 29 May 1949
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2010