This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

University at Albany (U.S.)

New York

Last modified: 2010-08-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: suny albany | university at albany | albany | university | new york | united states |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Description of the flag

Today's edition of the Albany, New York, Times Union has a photo from the funeral of the president of the University at Albany. The university's flag is in the foreground. The flag is a gold-fringed white field with the university's seal in black and gray. Another photo of it can be seen at, a photo from the 2005 commencement procession. The year is significant because a photo from the 2000 commencement procession shows an older version, so a change must have occurred during the 5 year interval. The older version had the seal in purple lines on white and ALBANY in large purple letters below. See

It also had a slightly different version of the seal. The current seal can be seen (in gold and white) at, with a description at,_The_State_University_of_New_York. The older seal as shown on the 2000 flag can be seen at Both versions bear an image of Minerva and the university motto "Sapientia et sua et docendi causa" (Wisdom both for its own sake and for the sake of teaching) plus 1844, the year of the school's establishment.

From the Wikipedia site:

"University at Albany, SUNY, is a public university located in the capital of New York State. The university has two campuses in the City of Albany and one campus in the town of East Greenbush, just east of Albany. The officially designated informal name is "UAlbany" but the university is sometimes referred to by outsiders as: Albany State, SUNY Albany, SUNY A. In 1962 the University at Albany was officially designated by Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller as a University Center and doctoral degree granting research university in the State University of New York public university system. This was the same year Governor Rockefeller broke ground for the current main campus of the University on the former site of the Albany Country Club. From its founding in 1844 the school has had previous official names: New York State Normal School (1844-1914), New York State College for Teachers (1914-1959), New York State University College of Education at Albany (1959-1962)."
Ned Smith, 15 August 2006