Last modified: 2012-05-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: washington county | virginia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Valentin Poposki, 17 June 2007
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Washington County:
Washington County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of the 2000 census, the population was 51,103. Its county seat is Abingdon.
The web page "A Brief History of Washington County, Virginia" records:
Washington County was named for General George Washington before he was elected President. A history of Washington County, Virginia might include all the territory originally encompassed in Augusta County, formed by the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1738; Botetourt County in 1770; Fincastle County in 1772; and Washington County established on December 7, 1776. Each of the subsequent counties split from the Washington County of 1776: Russell County in 1786, Lee County in 1793, Tazewell County in 1800, Scott County in 1814, Smyth County in 1832, Wise County in 1836, Buchanan County in 1858, Dickenson County in 1880. Each has a history of its own. With a few exceptions, this article will be concerned with the current boundaries of Washington County, Virginia.
Seal and Flag of Washington County
The official Great Seal of the County of Washington, Virginia was designed by Arthur DuBois and adopted by the Washington County Board of Supervisors on January 4, 1978. The official Flag of the County of Washington, Virginia was designed by Jennifer Holliday and adopted by the Board on July 14, 1998. The shield emblem within the Great Seal containing three stars and two bars is taken from the family crest of George Washington. The emblem appearing in the center of the official Flag is designated as the Minor Seal of the County, featuring a laurel blossom and dulcimer superimposed on a background of mountains, green fields and rising sun. The slogan, "A Rich Past, A Promising Future" appears within the Minor Seal. The year of the County's establishment, 1776, also appears on the flag.
Valentin Poposki 17 June 2007