Last modified: 2012-05-22 by rick wyatt
Keywords: walker county | texas | map |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Mason Kaye
Named for Robert J. Walker (1801-1869), US Secretary of the Treasury, later renamed for Capt. Samuel H. Walker (1817-1847), Texas Ranger. County Seat: Huntsville Area: 786 square miles Pop. (2000): 61,758
In 1984 the Walker County Historical Commission sponsored a flag design contest open to 7th and 8th grade students. The winning entry was the combined effort of Gigi Martinez, Jill Kropp, Richard Whitley and Dianna Dawson of Mance Park Junior High School in Huntsville. The design consists of a green field which bears a white map of the county, fimbriated green and white. The map is overlaid with a green ring within which stand two green pine trees, the left one taller than the right. Arcing over the top of the ring is the red inscription "Walker County." Along the bottom right side of the map is the date of the county's creation and organization, 1846. The flag was formally presented to and accepted by the Commissioners' Court on 21 October 1985.
Mason Kaye, 15 July 2004