Last modified: 2011-10-21 by rick wyatt
Keywords: mt. airy | mount airy | maryland | twin arch | frederick county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Museum Memos, Mt. Airy Museum Newsletter, Vol. 2, No.2, Summer 2002 notes the following about the town flag:
During the Bicentennial celebration there was considerable interest in developing a Mount Airy seal. Watson Automotive Company, one of Mount Airy's newest businesses, sponsored a contest to develop the seal and offered a $100 bond for the winning design. The Town Council officially adopted the seal on September 12, 1977. Mrs. Betty Luebberman of Sykesville designed the seal. The seal picturing the Twin Arch and Pine Grove Chapel appears on the Town flag and official stationery.
The Twin Arch is the Twin Arch Bridge, built by the B&O Railroad in 1831. One arch crossed the Frederick Pike, the other crosses a nearby stream of the headwaters of the Patapsco River running beside the Pike.
The seal is at the city's web site http://www.carr.lib.md.us/mtairy/ . No picture of the flag, however.
Phillip L. Nelson, 10 October 2002