Last modified: 2009-07-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: shutesbury | massachusetts |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image from www.state.ma.us/bsb/images/Shutesbury.jpg
Shutesbury occupies the south-east corner of Franklin County, is 112 miles west of Boston, and has New Salem and Prescott (from the latter of which it is divided by Swift River) on the east, Pelham on the south, Amherst and Leverett on the west, and the latter and Wendell on the north. It has 614 people, 154 dwelling-houses, 150 farms, and a valuation of $194,865. It was settled by families from Sudbury; for some time bore the name of "Roads Town," but received at its incorporation (June 30, 1764) its present name in honor of Gov. Samuel Shute.The flag is a white with the town seal, showing a tree-topped hill beyond a lake and the words ROADTOWN 1735. The town name and date are inscribed in a ring around the seal. Shutesbury is in Franklin County.