This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Darien, Connecticut (U.S.)

Fairfield County

Last modified: 2011-07-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: darien | connecticut | fairfield county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Darien, Connecticut] image located by Peter Orenski, 25 August, 2010

See also:

Description of the flag

We do not have a high-definition image of the Town's flag. However, this is the logo that appears on Darien's flag.

Darien Logo
A painting by John Stobart of Gorham's Mill at Gorham's Pond depicts the present Town Seal. The grist mill was originally constructed in 1708 by Richard Scofield and called Scofield's Mill. In the 18th Century this was a bustling mercantile trading center of Middlesex Parish. Richard Scofield sold the mill to the Clock family in 1729 and it became The Mill at Clock's Landing. In 1740 Captain George Gorham purchased the property and for over 100 years it was operated by the Gorham family. A fire destroyed the mill in 1822 and Captain Gorham rebuilt the present structure. The bridge was originally wooden and in 1995 was rebuilt of iron. In 1930 the bridge was reconstructed of stone and is presently called Ring's End Bridge. This area ceased being the "center" of Darien when in 1848 the railroad was constructed through Darien and the center became the present location.
Linda O'Leary, Executive Secretary, Town of Darien

Peter Orenski, 21 August 2010