This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Iža (Slovakia)

Komárno okres, Nitra region

Last modified: 2011-04-01 by andrew weeks
Keywords: iza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Iža municipality flag

[Flag of Iza] by Gunnar Staack, 29 August 2000

The village of Iža is located in the southern part of Slovakia and is about 7 km from Komárno. The earliest written reference of Iža dates from 1268. Over the past years, this area attracted many archaeologists who have worked hard to finally uncover the base of an old fort called Leányvár. Built in the 1st century AD, Leányvár was a part of the protection system of Limes Romanus built by the Romans on the left bank of Danube river.
Later historical documents indicate that Mr Gašpar Somogy was the feudal head of the village and sold his part of Iža to Mr Michal Novák in the second half of 16th century.  Over 150 years of Turkish invasion, Iža became almost deserted. New settlements were reestablished in the late 17th century. A few earthquakes in the 18th century had a really bad effect on the life in the village (between 1763 - 1773). Further natural catastrophes such as fires and floods have also added to the list of disasters the village has experienced. The worst ever flooding in the history of Iža dates to 1965 when water destroyed 267 houses and further 199 houses were badly damaged. The village has now 1601 inhabitants.
Source: this webpage.
Jarig Bakker, 25 Jan 2002

Iža Coat of Arms

[Iza Coat of Arms] image on this webpage., reported by Jarig Bakker, 25 Jan 2002