This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Detva city (Slovakia)

Detva okres, Banská Bystrica region

Last modified: 2011-04-01 by andrew weeks
Keywords: detva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Detva flag submitted by Rob Raeside, 16 July 1999 See also:

Detva flag

Detva was founded in 1638 as a feudal commune of the Viglas demesne by its owner Ladislav Caky. The original village expanded very quickly throughout its territory, as did the number of inhabitants. Gradually the foundations were placed for the surrounding villages. The pristine occupations of the natives were shepherding, cattle breeding, wood processing and agriculture. Isolation, almost no contacts with the outside world, and the relatively high degree of remoteness of the villages forced Detva to become as self-sufficient as it was possible. In 1811, its title was promoted to "little town," with the right to organise annual markets. In those days, it was also granted a town's coat of arms, which shows three spruce trees. In 1965 Detva acquired the status of "town," and in 1996 it became the seat of new Detva district. The "face" of Detva has been gradually changing as time passes. From the agricultural, bucholic village with the strong tradition of sheep-breeding and "bryndza" industry ("bryndza" is a sheep cheese, ground and mixed with salt; in 1787 Detva was the first place in all of Slovakia to start manufacturing bryndza), Detva grew into a place with large engineering works, Podpolianske strojarne. In spite of modernization Detva has preserved its attractiveness. Nowadays the city has approximately 15,000 inhabitants and 5,644 ha of cadastral land. Also, Detva still keeps its traditional crafts alive - the furrier's trade, woodcarving, embroidery, and especially folk art.
(Info from the Detva website)
Jarig Bakker, 3 Jan 2001

Detva Coat of Arms

Detva Coat of Arms from . (!Link does not work any more!)