Last modified: 2008-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: vrbas | book (white) | wheat | wave (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vrbas - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 5 October 2007
The municipality of Vrbas (45,852 inhabitants in 2002; 376 sq. km), located in Vojvodina, is made of the town of Vrbas proper (25,907 inhabitants) and the settlements of Bačko Dobro Polje, Kosančić, Kucura, Ravno Selo, Savino Selo and Zmajevo.
The name of the municipality stems from the word "willow" in the Serbian language. During the Socialist period, the town was renamed Titov Vrbas (meaning "Tito's Vrbas), after Josip Broz Tito. Like all other towns in Socialist Yugoslavia named after Tito, the first part was dropped once the new states were formed during the early 1990s.
Vrbas was mentioned first in 1665, then belonging to the Ottoman Empire and populated by ethnic Serbs. Since the end of the XVIIth century, Vrbas belonged to the Habsburg Monarchy, and after 1784 many Germans settled in the town. In 1918, Vrbas became part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes (later renamed to Yugoslavia). As a consequence of the events the Second World War in Yugoslavia, the German population fled from the town after this war. In the same time, many settlers from Montenegro came to Vrbas and other neighbouring places.
Milan Jovanović & Ivan Sache, 5 October 2007
The flag and greater, middle and lesser coat of arms of Vrbas were designed by by Tihomir Ačanski, member of the Serbian Heraldry Society White Eagle, who kindly communicated images of these symbols.
The symbols sere adopted in October 2006, following a public contest.
Milan Jovanović, 5 October 2007