Last modified: 2013-06-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: lajkovac | wheel: winged (yellow) | diamond (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Leskovac - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 8 April 2007
The municipality of Lajkovac (17,062 inhabitants in 2002; 186 sq. km)
is located in Kolubarski district, central Serbia. The town of Lajkovac
proper has 3,443 inhabitants.
First recorded as a village in 1284, Lajkovac became the seat of a municipality in 1904, when the railway was built.
Ivan Sache & Milan Jovanović, 12 July 2007
According to the municipal website, Lajkovac has adopted a flag and arms after repeated open competitions.
Members of local assembly unanimously voted, among 19 presented proposals, for
the proposal by the Board for Heraldic and Genealogical Studies of the Center for
Research of Orthodox Monachism. Authors are Nenad M. Jovanović, Nebojsa Dikić
and Srecko Nikitović.
The flag is a square banner of the muniicpal arms, "Gules, a wheel of steam locomotive with wings or, in chief a diamond sable".
The wheel represents the key period in the developement of Lajkovac, the opening in 1908 of the railway between Obrenovac and Valjevo. The yellow colour symbolizes spiritual and material wealth as well as wheat. The diamond, representing coal, stands for the mining industry present in the municipality.
Ivan Sarajčić, 8 April 2007