Last modified: 2011-05-14 by andrew weeks
Keywords: ujscie |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Settlement existed already in VII Century. First written mention in
the Gallus Anonymous documents in 1108. From 1223 to 1239 a Principality
(Władysław Odonic -dux de Usce). City rights received in 1413 from King
1655 - lost battle with the Swedes.
1772 - to Prussia (first partition of Poland)
1809 - establishment of Glass Works (glashütte).
1920 - returned to Poland
1939-45 - Nazi occupation
The biggest enterprise in the town is Ardagh Glass manufacturing about
1 million bottles a day. West of the town the sand is being mined.
Soccer club: UKP Unia Ujście.
Arms and flag adopted on December 9, 2002 (resolution # II/13/2002)
"Arms: head of the red deer on white background.
Flag: three vertical bands: light blue symbolizing the rivers Gwda and Notec, middle band is white with the Arms of the town and the date: 1413 - granting of the city rights.The green band has a royal crown topped with the cross to underscore the royal ownership of the town through much of the history and the town's Christianity as old as the Polish State is."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 21 Nov 2008