This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brudzew rural district (Poland)

Turek county, Wielkopolskie voivodship

Last modified: 2011-04-30 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wolsztyn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Brudzew flag]
See also:

Brudzew flag

Gmina Brudzew is a rural gmina (commune) in Turek County, Greater Poland Voivodship, in west-central Poland. Its seat is the village of Brudzew, which lies approximately 11 kilometres (7 mi) north-east of Turek and 121 km (75 mi) east of the regional capital Poznań.
Area: 112.72 (43.5 sq.mi)
Population: 6,115 (2006)
Before Poland became a State, the area was inhabited by the tribe of Wierczanie ( Verizani, Uerizane) according to the Bavarian geographer. First specific mention of Brudzew comes in the document in 1252.

The inhabitants of Brudzew took very active part in the defense of the Fatherland. The best example is the Kaszyński family - four brothers, Antoni, Jan, Józef and Leon died in the campaign of 1939 and as the soldiers of the underground Home Army (Armia Krajowa-AK). The fifth brother, Mieczysław Kaszyński, survived the war even if he participated in the bloody Battle of Monte Cassino, where the Polish Army Corps of Gen.Władysław Anders took the hill with enormous sacrifices, thus opening the road to Rome for the Allies.

In 1941 the Nazis established a camp for about 200 French POWs near Brudzew where they were forced to work on German farms.

Arms and flag adopted on May 13, 2005 (resolution # XXXI/160/05)

Flag: blue rectangle in the ratio 3:5 with the Arms (without the shield) placed in the middle of the first half of the flag.

Brudzew Coat of Arms

[Brudzew coat of arms]

Arms: on the blue shield a silver cavalier (Maltese) cross with four silver balls on its arms. The Arms are based on the seal from 1620. The four balls help to distinguish the Brudzew's Arms from those of Rzeszów.