This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wieruszów county (Poland)

Powiat wieruszowski, Łódzkie voivodship

Last modified: 2011-05-21 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wieruszów |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wieruszow county flag] image by Jens Pattke, 30 Dec 2004
adopted 27 Feb 2004 Gminy (districts) in Wieruszów County: See also:

Wieruszów county flag

Here are both flags of Wieruszow County. Coat of Arms and flags adopted 27 Feb 2004 by County Council of Wieruszow. ( Thank to Andrzej Kupski from Poland )

Wieruszów is located at the right and left bank of the Prosna river, at the mouth of the Niesób, in a transition sphere, at so-called Wieruszów Threshold connecting Wyżyna Śląska with Wzgórza Ostrzeszowskie.

Colonisation within the territories by the River Prosna goes back approximately to 10 thousand years ago. This is evidenced by excavations, archaeological sites as well as some material objects. Defensive walls of a stronghold dating from the time of the Lusitian culture are at the fork of the Niesób and Prosna rivers. Ptolemeus Claudius in his work "Geographic Science" (2nd century BC) marked the amber trail, two places were scribed by the Prosna: Arsonium and Calisia. The former was the aforementioned stronghold out of which later Wieruszow grew.

Unlike other cities Wieruszów was a private - gentry - city. Its founder were the knight family of Wieruszów which in all probability arrived to these grounds from Silesia. They originated the city and its name. Due to its position Wieruszów has always been crisscrossed with important routes, which provoked repeated attacks and looting mostly by Silesian princes. Wieruszów suffered heavy damage during the North War, when various armies were passing through the town. In the year 1815 pursuant to the decision by the Vienna Congress the town was divided into parts along the Prosna and Niesób. The western part called Podzamcze found itself under Prussian control, the eastern part in the Polish Kingdom. In 1870 Wieruszów lost city rights. It got them back 49 years later.

The First and the Second World Wars caused much destruction in the town. The castle was wrecked by Grenzschutz in the year 1919. In 1945 60% of the town's buildings were destroyed, the population stood at a bit more then 2000. After the war, the city developed, slowly but systematically. Its dynamic progress started in 1955, when, as a result of an administrative division, Wieruszów county was created. In 1975 Wieruszów lost the county status which it recovered in 1998. From that moment on a new period in its history commenced.
Source: county website.
Jens Pattke, 30 Dec 2004

Wieruszów county ceremonial flag

[Wieruszow ceremonial flag] image by Jens Pattke, 30 Dec 2004
adopted 27 Feb 2004

Here is the ceremonial flag of Wieruszow County in the voivodship of Lodzkie.
Jens Pattke, 30 Dec 2004