Last modified: 2009-03-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: ua huka | marquesas islands |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Ua Huka - Image by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, 24 December 2008
Quoting the website of the Presidency of French Polynesia (page no longer online):
One of the islands in the northern group of the Marquesas, Ua Huka is located at 8º55'S and 139º35'W, which puts it 42 kilometers (26 miles) east of Nuku Hiva. Ua Huka has an area of 83 square kilometers (32 sq. miles) and is crescent-shaped, opening to the south. Its tallest mountain is Mt. Hitikau, which reaches a height of 854 meters (2,802 ft.).
Archeological researchers working at a site near the village of Hane were able to determine that this was where the first humans lived in all of what is today French Polynesia. Ua Huka's first European discoverer was British Captain Joseph Ingraham in 1791.
Ua Huka had a population of 571 during the 1996 census. These people live mainly in the villages of Vaipae and Hane. They earn their living from mostly farming and supplement their food supply by hunting wild goats and collecting tern eggs on the islets of Hemini and Teaua. An aerodrome opened in 1972, but can only be served by small aircraft.
Ivan Sache, 20 August 2005
The unofficial flag of Ua Huka, seen at the headquarters of the Tahitian Football Federation and used during the Games of the Marquesas Islands 2006, is orange with a white frame and the name of the island in white letters in the middle.
Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, 24 December 2008