This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Wognum (The Netherlands)
former municipality, now Medemblik municipality, Noord-Holland province
Last modified: 2014-06-28 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wognum |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
image by Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 8.044; area: 21,42 km². Settlements:
Wognum (seat), Nibbixwoud, Zwaagdijk-West.
Wognum is a municipality in West-Friesland, Noord-Holland province.
I's the birthplace of the famous Dutch comedian André Carrell.
Nickname: "koekvreters" (cake-eaters) - they don't eat cake,
though: they devore it (especially Jodekoeken).
The municipal flag was adopted in 1979 after the merger of the former
municipalities of Nibbixwoud and Wognum.
Description: six diagonal stripes orf green and blue, over all at 4/5
of flagheight a lion, with in the right paw a ragguly branch, all umbrated.
On 23 Sep 1975 the municipal council adopted a new flag. This flag
was made to honor the Commandeur-family, which had produced four mayors
in a row from 1831-1975. Thier symbol was a commander's staff, a green
ragguly stick. This was held by a silhouetted lion against 6 diagonal black
and red stripes. The official name is an umbrated lion, as described in
Rodney Dennys' "The Heraldic Imagination" (1975); he was (is?) a "Somerset
Herald of Arms".
In the flag the black and red colors shine through the flag, but not
through the green stick, which is "real".
This is not the first municipal flag. In the 1930's the provincial
government required the municipal council to have its own municipal flag.
This flag is completely decayed, and since the municipal council occasionally
likes to honor a jubilating sportsclub with its flag, this will do mighty
<The old flag may have been the provincial flag of 1938 with the
Wognum Coat of Arms in the canton>
Source: Vexilla Nostra Nr. 87, 1977.
Jarig Bakker, 15 Sep 2003.
Wognum is since 1 January 2007 part of Medemblik municipality
Wognum former flag
from Vexilla Nostra Nr. 87, 1977.
adopted 23 Sep 1975
Wognum Coat of Arms
from the Wognum municipal website.
Granted 8 Feb 1980.
The former municipalities of Wognum and Nibbixwoud received their original
arms on 26 Jun 1816. The Nibbixwoud Coat of Arms was: a blue shield with three golden
perches. The Wognum Coat of Arms: a tree standing on a terrace, held on both sides
by a lion. The Coat of Arms changed in 1964: the color was changed and a crown added.
The tree became green instead of gold.
In 1979 both arms were used for the design of the new Coat of Arms. The tree
was eradicated; the lions were maintained: a red lion with a blue tongue
and nails for Holland, and a black lion with red tongue and nails. The
three perches from the Coat of Arms of Nibbixwoud were provided with spiny fins
and pointed black spine. The shield is covered by a golden crown of three
leaves and two pearls.
Source: Wognum municipal website.