This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Warnsveld (The Netherlands)

Gelderland province

Last modified: 2011-03-26 by andrew weeks
Keywords: warnsveld |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Warnsveld municipality Shipmate Flagchart :
Adopted 17 Feb 1964

See also:

Warnsveld municipality

Population (1 Jan 2003): 9.037; area: 17,10 km². Settlements: Warnsveld (seat), Warken.
Warnsveld is just east of Zutphen, an agricultural municipality. In how far this name is related to the name of the Frisian village of Warns is not known; both names appeared for the first time in the beginning of the 12th century. <let alone the Czechian town of Varnsdorf>.
Flag: two equally wide horizontal stripes of white and green and over all in the center a yellow 8-spoked wheel.
Adopted 17 Feb 1964 by municipal resolution.
The wheel is from the municipal arms.
Jarig Bakker, 17 October 1999

Warnsveld unofficial old flag

[Warnsveld old flag] by Jarig Bakker, 31 Oct 2003

Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962 [sie62] has another flag: two equally wide horizontal stripes of green and yellow, with a white hoist, charged with the municipal arms.
This flag was not official. The colors (incl. the white hoist) are derived from the municipal arms.
Jarig Bakker, 31 Oct 2003

Warnsveld Coat of Arms

[Warnsveld Coat of Arms] image from the Koffie Hag album
Granted 21 Mar 1853

The Coat of Arms is: "green with a bare girded, bearded and winged idol facing sinister, with in each hand a snake, all silver, standing on a lying wheel or." Granted 21 Mar 1853.
There has been much speculation about who that idol might be - a god "Warns" of the old Frisians or Saxons, perhaps the equivalent of Wodan or Odin, or the Greek god Hermes (Roman Mercurius), or a representation of the ancient tribe of the "Warnen" - so far not a shred of evidence has been found for any thesis, so the origin of the arms will probably remain hidden in the mists of time.
Source: the Warnsveld municipal site.
Jarig Bakker, 31 Oct 2003