Last modified: 2011-06-04 by andrew weeks
Keywords: weststellingwerf |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.shipmate.nl/flags.htm
De Blesse - Peperga are two (twin) villages in the municipality of Weststellingwerf, Fryslân, at the junction of the road Heerenveen - Steenwijk and the road Oldemarkt - Noordwolde; the train from Leeuwarden to Zwolle passes the twinvillage as well.
The village flag was found by Mr. Hans van Heijningen on the village website (click Feestcommissie), and photos will appear by the end of October at this website.
The spire is the church of Peperga, while the pride of De Blesse is
its mill. Blesse is also the name of a small brook, which originates near
De Blesse and flows into the Linde at Blessebrug. According to van der
Aa it was on this bridge that Lt.-General Hans Willem van Aylva shot a
French Marquis in 1672. Van Aylva was also known as the "ontzaggelijke
generaal" - the immense general, and led in those days Frisian guerrilleros
against "Bomm'n Berend" - Bernhard van Galen, Bishop of
Jarig Bakker, 3 Oct 2006
De Hoeve is a village in the municipality of Weststellingwerf in southeast
Fryslân, the Netherlands.
On 16 June 2006 the village of De Hoeve (the farm) celebrated the 100th birthday of the Society for Village Interests with the hoisting of the new village flag.
25 Inhabitants of De Hoeve produced their own designs, out of which the design of Lodewijk Glas was chosen unanimously.
There is an image of the flag and a photo here.
Description: divided flydiagonally purple over green by a yellow stripe; a blue hoist of 1/10 flaglength, in top a red griffin with between its legs a red ball, charged with a 5-pointed white star; at bottom a wavy blue horizontal line of 1/6 flagheight.
Symbolism: the yellow diagonal is the (formerly sandy) road through the village, the main part is in the north,
Green for meadows and forests.
Blue for the many canals around the village.
The griffin is from the arms of Weststellingwerf.
Source: municipal website.
Stefan Lambrechts, 18 July 2008
Steggerda is a village in the municipality of Weststellingwerf in Fryslân
province in the Netherlands.
Its flag can be admired (twice) at the village's website - it defies description...
Steggerda has c. 1.000 inhabitants. Until the 1970's it was dominated
by a dairy factory, which was later transformed into an auction hall. At
present it is completely knocked down to make place for a housing project.
Stellingwerfs is spoken here, a vernacular of the Frisian language.
Jarig Bakker, 2 Sep 2007
During the celebrations of the 75th year of existence of the Society
for Village Interests Steggerda in 1983, the feast-committee offered a
village flag, designed by my wife and me, Joke and Joachim Westenbroek.
Symbolism: the big red "S" for Steggerda village.
Two green stripes for the forestry around Steggerda - many paths and alleys were traversing the forestry.
The white wavy line represents the brook the Linde.
The contoured trees symbolize the old manorhouse "de Eese".
This design was approved by the "stichting Banistiek en Heraldiek".
"De Eese" was and still is a recreational area of the Oranje-family, but it is a public accessible domain as well.
The Linde is a brook originating in Oosterwolde and formerly flowed into the Zuiderzee near the village De Kuinre; there is a cycling path along the Linde.
Joachim Westenbroek, 22 Jul 2008
Nice time to pick up the study of a new language: Stellingwerfs! - at
webpage is a weblog in that curious vernacular:
"Elk dörp dat een betien mitdoen wil in de wereld het vandaege-de-dag > een eigen dörpsvlagge. Mien dörp dus ok. Vandemiddag konnen de meensken de bestelde vlaggen ofhaelen. Et is een mooie vlagge wodden. De kleur gruun staot veur de mooie netuur mit een protte bos hier bi’j omme, de drie blauwe strepen duden op ‘e revierties Lende, Kuunder en Scheene. En et iekeblad mit de ekkels verwiezen naor et waopen van de femilie Lycklama à Nijeholt. Stamheit Lyckle Ebles woonde vroeger op ‘e stienze Friesburg (of: Liemburg) hier in Ni’jhooltpae. De stienze is in 1514 deur Gelderse soldaoten verwoest. Leden van de femilie, die heur naor et dörp nuumd hebben, liggen hier in de karke begreven. De Lycklama’s hebben in de loop van de tied een protte grietmannen leverd. Aachter de roomse karke in Wolvege is de grafkelder en een kapel van jonkheer Tinco Martinus Lycklama à Nijeholt. D’r kommen trouwens nog zat meensken veur mit die naeme en et kan mar zo dat sommigen niet iens weten dat ze naor mien dörp nuumd binnen. Et is mooi dat zoe’n stok oolde geschiedenis in de dörpsvlagge weeromme te vienen is!"
Nijeholtpade is in Weststellingwerf in the SE corner of Fryslân. In
Oost- and Weststellingwerf a language is spoken, which is a mix of Frisian,
Drents, and Dutch.
Each village hereabouts needs its own flag. This afternoon (28 Dec 2005) people finally got our village flag. It's a beauty!
Green is for nature with forests; the three blue stripes symblize the rivers Linde, Kuinder and Scheene. The oakleaf with the acorns refer to the arms of the family Lycklama á Nijeholt. Founding father Lyckle Ebles used to live in the "stins" (=fortified house) Friesburg, also known as Liemburg in Nijeholtpade. That "stins" was destroyed in 1514 by nasty Geldersen. Members of the family, who carried its name, were buried in the church. The Lyckama's produced a lot of "grietmannen" (mayors) in Fryslân, as well as other very important Dutchmen, most of whom have forgotten where their fame started.
Jarig Bakker, 14 Aug 2006