Last modified: 2013-06-17 by juan manuel gabino villascán
Keywords: mexico | bandera nacional | america | eagle | snake | cactus | olympics | hope | unity | purity | honesty | parenthood | blood |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
|by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, August 31, 2001|
The Bandera Nacional day is defined by the Ley de la Bandera in the article 10 as follows:
Article 10.- February 24 is established as the Flag Day. In this day special TV and radio programs shall be broadcasted, in order to diffuse the the history and meaning of the Flag."
Joseph McMillan and Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, May 09, 2000.
Flag Day is celebrated on February 24 because on that date in 1821, the
Plan de Iguala document was signed in which Mexico
was proclaimed as an Independent country.
Marc Junele Hoyos, 03 Mar 1998
Since February 24th, 1937, there are public festivities on the Flag day in
front of the monument to the General don Vicente Guerrero, the first
mexican military that swore to the flag in the famous hug of Acatempan on
March 12, 1821.
Jorge Candeias, 27 Oct 1997, translating from La Bandera Mexicana website (currently not available).
The National Flag Day in Mexico is February 24th, anniversary
of the Plan de Iguala signed
by Agustin de Iturbide
as leader of the Three Guarantees Army.
Santiago Dotor, 29 Dec 1998, translating from http://www.arts-history.mx/calendario/bandera.html
The National Flag Day is celebrated every February 24th
since 1937 before
the monument to General Vicente Guerrero, the first Mexican soldier to swear
allegiance to the flag, during the famous (?) Acatepam "embrace" (=agreement)
on March 12th, 1821.
Santiago Dotor, 29 Dec 1998, translating from http://mexico.udg.mx/Historia/24-feb/presenta.html
The last reforms (DOF Jan. 9, 1991, and May 9, 1995) of the "Ley sobre el Escudo, Bandera y el Himno Nacionales" states the dates when the Bandera Nacional shall be hoist on total and half-staff. The dates are the followings:
"Art. 16.- The flag is flown daily at the seats of the powers of the Union [Presidency, Congress, Supreme Court], immigration and customs posts, captaincies of the port, airports, diplomatic and consular posts, and at the Plaza de la Constitucion in the capital.(...)
"Article 18.- In the terms of the Article 15 of this law, the Bandera Nacional shall be hoisted:
a) On total-staff in the following dates and conmemorations:(...)
- January 21: Igancio Allende's birthday (1779).
- February 5: Promulgation of both the 1957 and 1917 Constitutions.
- February 19: Day of the "Ejército Mexicano" (Mexican Army).
- February 24: Day of the "Bandera" (flag).
- March 1: Proclamation of the Plan de Ayutla.
- March 15: Openning of the Congress (second period)
- March 18: Nationalization of Oil Industry in 1838.
- March 21: Benito Juárez's birthday (1806).
- March 26: Promulgation of the Plan de Guadalupe.
- April 2: Capture of Puebla in 1867.
- May 1: Labor's day.
- May 5: Victory over the French army in Puebla in 1862.
- May 8: Miguel Hidalgo's birthday (1753).
- May 15: Capture of Querétaro (1867).
- June 1: National Marine day.
- June 21: Victory of the National Army over the Empire in 1867.
- September 1: Openning of the Congress (first period).
- September 14: Incorporation of Chiapas to the Union.
- September 15: "Grito de Independencia".
- September 16: Start of the Independence War in 1810.
- September 27: Anniversary of the consummation of independence (1821).
- September 30: José María Morelos' birthday (1765).
- October 12: "Día de la Raza", anniversary of the Discovering of America in 1492.
- October 23: Aviation Day.
- October 24: UNO Day.
- October 30: Francisco I. Madero's birthday (1873).
- November 6: Promulgation of the Act of Independence by the Chilpancingo Congress in 1813.
- November 20: Start of the Revolución Mexicana in 1910.
- November 23: Day of the Navy of Mexico.
- Decembe 29: Venustiano Carranza's birthday (1859).
- Days when Congressional sessions are closed.
b) On half-staff during the following dates and conmemorations:
- February 14: Vicente Guerreros's death (1831).
- February 22: Francisco I. Madero's death (1913).
- Frebruary 28: Cuauhtémoc's death (1525).
- April 10: Emiliano Zapata's death (1919).
- May 21: Venustiano Carraza's death (1920).
- July 17: Álvaro Obregón's death (1928).
- July 18: Benito Juárez's death (1872).
- July 30: Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla's death (1811).
- September 13: Sacrifice of the "Niños Héroes" of Chapultepec (1847).
- October 7: Belisario Domínguez's death (1913).
- December 22: José María Morelos' death (1815)".
"Art. 20.- The national flag is raised at eight o'clock and lowered at eighteen o'clock (6:00 p.m.).
Joseph McMillan, May 09, 2000.