Last modified: 2013-06-17 by juan manuel gabino villascán
Keywords: mexico | nayarit | unofficial flag | tepic | eagle | aztlan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
|by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, March 03, 2005.|
|See: Coat of arms of white bakground: unofficial flags|
INEGI and SEP
Reported by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, March 03, 2005.
by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, March 03, 2005.
The Decree, by means of which the new Nayarit coat of arms was approved, was published in the Periódico Oficial del Estado issue 13, Vol. CLIV on Saturday, August 14, 1993.
The Decree number 5270 of August 28, 1970 is reformed and amended in its 1º article's last paragraph to be as follows:
In the centre or heart of the shield, a small shield bordered in white (silver) with seven fooprints distributed symmetrically. Those symbolize the Nahuatl Seven Tribes' pilgrimage from Aztlán towards Tenochtitlán, according to the "Pilgrimage Scroll" of the Buturini's Codex. Centered in the small shield on purple, the stylized “petroglyph” of the "Eagle of Aztlan" in green. The shield is mantled in green, blue and gold, since these are the colors of the Nayarit landscapes.
The Nayarit coat or arms, detailed in the present Decree shall be used in official stationary, ceremonies or public events.
ARTICLE TRANSITORY The present Decree is comming into effect when it be published in the Periódico Oficial (...).
Quoted and translated by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, May 1, 2002.
On November 11, 1970, a Decree about the new Nayarit coat of arms was published in the Periódico Oficial del Gobierno del Estado. This Decree defined and specified exactly the Nayarit coat of arms' features, there were no changed excepting in the small shiedl, whose the Decree states:
In the center or heart, a small blued shield, bordered in white and adorned with eight black armines, on the field two checkered caldron in gold and red in pale.
Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, May 1, 2002.
This coat of arms was granted to the city of Tepic in 1930 through a contest called by Nayarit Governor D. Luis Castillo Ledón. The constest's winner was D. Miguel Lanzagorta.
In 1964 the State Secretariat of the Interior informed about the coat of arms' features:
"The shiel is Spanish in shape, parted and mantled. In the firts field there is a golden corn plant meaning the word TEPIC (derived from the nahuatl world TEPICTLI that refers to a certain kind of corn grows in fiften days). The second quarter there are a bow and an arrow in brown, standing for the word NAYARIT, Cora voice means "War god", and it resembles a the same time the King of the Nayar invetor of bow and arrow. In the lower part appears a white depiction of the Nayarit "Sierra Madre", place where the Nayar kingdom was settled. The mountains appears on a blue background recalls the Narit sky.
In the center of the shield the is a small shield in blue with a red band fimbrated in gold. This small shield is for Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán, who in 1532 subjected the Indians and founded the city of Santiago de Galicia de Compostela, in turn, capital of the new Spaniard territories.
There is a mantling in green, gold and red, representing the Nayirt landscapes."
This coat of arms was unoffically granted to the whole State, until November 1970, date when was adopted offcially a State Coat of Arms.
Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán May 1, 2002
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.