Last modified: 2007-03-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: delcevo | statue (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Delčevo - Image by Mello Luchtenberg & António Martins, 2 October 2006
The municipality of Delčevo (17,505 inhabitants; 422.39 sq. km) is made
of the town of Delčevo and the 21 settlements of Bigla, Vetren, Virče, Vratislavci, Gabrovo, Grad, Dramče, Zvegor, Iliovo, Kiselica, Kosovo Dabje, Nov Istevnik, Očipala, Poleto, Pazlovci, Selnik, Stamer, Star Istevnik, Trabotivište, Turija and Čifnik.
The town is located on the river Bregalnica, in central-eastern Macedonia close to the border with Bulgaria. This settlement is mentioned in a chart signed by the Serbian King Stefan Dušan (XIVth century). The town was later known as Čarevo Selo (The Imperial Village). The name of Delčevo, given to the city in 1950, recalls the Macedonian patriot Goce Delčev, one of the leaders of the Ilinden Uprising.
Ivan Sache & Željko Heimer, 2 October 2006
The municipal flag of Delčevo, as shown on the Macedonian Ministry of Local
Self-Government website (page no longer online), is vertical, in proportion 3:2, vertically divided white-dark blue with the municipal shield placed in canton.
The shield shows a landscape, whose elements are the light blue sky, a dark mountain and blue water in foreground. A white statue and a building are also placed on the shield.
According to the International Civic Heraldry website, the statue represents Goce Delčev, the building is the municipal cultural center and the mountain is the Golak (1,538 m asl).
Ivan Sache, 2 October 2006