Last modified: 2008-12-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: diekirch | young boys diekirch | football |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Diekirch - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 October 2008
The municipality of Diekirch (in Luxembourgian, Dikrech; 6,165 inhabitants in 2005; 1,242 ha) is located in the valley of the Sûre, 35 km north of the town of Luxembourg.
The site of Diekirch was already settled at the Roman times, as proved by two Roman mosaics from the 3rd century excavated in 1923 and 1950, respectively. In the 6th-7th century, the Merovingians settlers transformed an old pagan temple into the primitive St. Lawrence church, which was added a bell tower in the 12th century and completely revamped in the 15th century. Severely damaged by a blaze in 1634 and 1754, the "Old St. Lawrence Church" was superseded as the parish church by the "New St. Lawrence Church" in 1869 and registered as a protected historical monument in 1978.
Diekirch houses the barracks of the Military Center of the Luxembourg Army, with units and Army services, and the National Museum of Military History. The Museum, that suceeded the Diekirch History Museum, open in 1994, is mostly dedicated to the events that took place near the town during the Battle of the Bulge (winter 1944-1945), including the famous crossing of river Sûre by the US 5th Infantry Division on 18 January 1945.
Diekirch is world famous for its brewery called Brasserie de Diekirch, founded in 1873 on the site of an earlier brewery. The brewery was relocated in 1880 near the railway station and became in 1900 the biggest brewery in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Inaugurated in 1930, the brand new brewery of Diekirch was the first industrial brewery of the country. In 2000, the Brasserie de Diekirch merged with its main national competitor, Les brasseries réunies de Luxembourg to form the Brasserie de Luxembourg Mousel-Diekirch, which was eventually incorporated into the Belgian Interbrew group in 2002, renamed InBev in 2005, today the world's leader brewing group.
Source: Unofficial Diekirch website
Ivan Sache, 21 October 2008
On a photo taken during a military parade in Diekirch on 19 June 2008, a flag horizontally divided yellow-blue can be seen on a pole, next to the national flag of Luxembourg.
This flag must be the flag of Diekirch, probably derived from the
municipal coat of arms.
The municipal arms of Diekirch were adopted by the Municipal Council on 18 June 1986, confirmed by Ministerial Decree on 14 June 1988 and published in the Luxembourg official gazette in 1988, p. 602.
The arms are Burelé d'or et d'azur au lion couronné d'or soutenu d'une tour de gueules maçonnée de sable mouvant de la pointe. L'écu timbré d'une couronne murale de trois tours de gueules maçonnée de sable (Barry or and azure a lion argent crowned of the first supported by a tower gules masoned sable issuant from the base. The shield crowned by a mural crown of three towers gules masoned sable).
According to the Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg by J.C. Loutsch, the arms are based on the municipal seal and arms used by the town since the 14th century. The seal shows a shield with 13 bars and a lion standing on a castle. Reported variations involve different colours, as well as the presence or absence of the crown over the lion.
The Diekirch brewery uses a similar coat of arms on its bottles, but with different colours: the bars are blue and white and the lion is red, like on the arms of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and the castle is yellow.
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2008
The football-club "FCM Young Boys Diekirch" celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2008. During the commemorative exhibition, a club flag was shown. The flag is horizontally divided red-white-blue with a coat of arms of Diekirch, with the lion not crowned.
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2008