This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website


Last modified: 2013-07-19 by ian macdonald
Keywords: indian princely state | baroda | swallowtail | gujarat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Baroda] by Blas Delgado Ortiz

Baroda principality was founded in 1730 by the Mahratta Pilaji Gwaikar, and used a State banner, colored "zafferano" (saffron), the color of the hill Mahabaleshwar, common to the whole Mahratta confederation. In use: 1730-? (1949?) Source: Ziggioto (1998).
Jarig Bakker, 21 April 2002

See also:

Some facts

21 guns
1931 area 8,164 square miles
1931 population 2,443,000
Ed Haynes, 3 April 1996

The shade of the flag

In my opinion, the shade of saffron in Baroda and Gwalior is the same (as is generally the case in these saffron monocolor flags because of their same origin).
Jaume Ollé, 23 March 1998


Here is an incomplete list of the territories that composed Baroda:

  • One exclave placed to the east of Tharad and Radhanpur, bordering these two states plus Idar, the Rajputani state of Palanpur, and two portions of territory that belonged to Bombay. The city of Mahsana is very close, if not inside the exclave.
  • Another exclave between Bhavnagar, Junagadh and a territory unlabelled in the map. The city of Amreli seems to have been part of it.
  • Another exclave that was placed in the southern tip of the Kathiawar peninsula, between the sea and the state of Junagadh, really close to Diu. No cities found, though.
Jorge Candeias, 19 and 29 May 1998

Baroda was a former Indian state in western India, 8176 square miles; it had four divisions, three in Gujarat (Kadim, Baroda, and Navsari) and one in the Peninsula of Kathiawar (Amreli, with Okhamandal). Once a part of the Mogul Empire; in 18th century its princes belonged to Maratha Confederacy; c. 1721 it secured part of Gujarat; in 19th century subject to British administrative control until 1881; became part of Bombay state 1948 and of Gujarat state 1960. Title of the prince: Gaekwar.
Jarig Bakker, 10 November 1998, and Balaji Ramani, 11 August 2000

Princely State of Baroda Standard ca. 1874-1936

[Baroda] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, Image based on Ziggioto (1998).

Queen Victoria granted the use of a Princely Standard c. 1875, which was used till 1936.
Jarig Bakker, 21 April 2002

This particular flag presents a four-fingered hand, like Mickey Mouse and his gang, and the thumb is not in a correct anatomical position, just in case someone wonders.
Blas Delgado Ortiz, 21 April 2002

Princely State of Baroda Standard ca. 1936-1949

[Baroda] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, based on Ziggioto (1998).

In 1936 the Princely Standard was changed with in the center a crown on top of a scimitar (tulwar), used till 1949 (?)
Jarig Bakker, 21 April 2002

This flag presents a Tudor-inspired crown, so the period might be prior to the 20th Century.
Blas Delgado Ortiz
, 21 April 2002

Native State Red Ensign

[Travancore] by Blas Delgado Ortiz