Last modified: 2015-06-29 by andrew weeks
Keywords: peqi'in | buqei'a | mo'atza mekomit peqi'in | majles al-buqei'a al-mahaly | druze | text: hebrew (blue) | text: arabic (blue) | stripes: 2 (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 25th April 1969
Local Council Peqi'in (Buqei'a) is situated in the western
Upper Galilee, 8 km SE to Ma'alot.
The municipal flag is the national background
with emblem and inscriptions in Hebrew (right) and Arabic (left).
The municipal emblem was published in the official gazette (Rashumot),
'Publications Gazette' section (Yalkut HaPirsumim), YP
1520, 25 April 1969.
Source: author's own observation, 8 October 2001; emblem on the Local Council's sign.
Dov Gutterman, 21 October 2001
The name Buqei'a (in Arabic: Little Valley) keeps the name of
the ancient village of Beqa (or Peqa) known from the Roman era.
According to local traditions, Moslems arrived to the village in
the 11th century, Christians in the 12th Century and Druze in the
18th century. Jewish farmers were mentioned in source from 1522
and the name Peqi'in appeared for the first time in 1765. One
Jewish family still live in the village. Local Council since 1958
with 4,800 inh. (77% Druze, 23% Christians)
Sources: <www.mapa.co.il>, <www.peqiin.net>.
Dov Gutterman, 2 May 2005