Last modified: 2010-04-02 by dov gutterman
Keywords: zamardi | somogy | sun | gull | cross: double | grapes | wheat | oak |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Zoltan Horvath, 17 February 2010
Zamárdi is a 'large village' in Somogy County in Hungary near
to Town of Siófok (10 km west) on
the southern beach of the Lake Balaton. The settlement has got
2.312 inhabitants (1990 census), all of them are Hungarians.
Neighbouring settlements are: Szántód, Kőröshegy,
Balatonendréd villages and Siófok town, Balatonfüred, Csopak
and Tihany villages in the northern part of the lake.
"The area of Zamárdi was inhabited already in the Copper, Bronze and Iron Age, and tracks of the Celts and ancient Romans have also been found. A very extensive archeology find has been discovered from the Avarian cemetery which was probably one of the largest and richest burial grounds in the Carpathian Basin. (...) The name of Zamárdi is mentioned in written documents of the era, at first in a certificate dated 1082, then in the authentic certificate of King Stephen the Third dated 1171. (...) In the 16th century, the Turkish army totally destructed (...) the villages, and the area was abandoned for a very long time. Our village was revived by Vildebald Grassó and his successor, Ágoston Lécs, both of them abbots of Tihany in the thirties of the 18th century."
In 1910 Zamárdi was a village in the Tab district of Somogy County of the Kingdom of Hungary. Number of its inhabitants in 1910: 961; 950 (98,9%) Hungarian and 11 (1,1%) other by mother tongue, 912 (94,9%) Roman Catholic, 37 (3,9%) Calvinist, 8 (0,8%) Jew and 4 (0,4%) other by religion.
Image and the description of Previous Symbols based on the Res. No. 15/1993 of the Council of the Community about the Coat of Arms of the settlement and the Res. No. 16/2000 of the Council of the Community about the flag and the Coat of Arms of the settlement
István Molnár, 16 March 2001
Zamárdi became a town in 2008. It is situated about 10 km
west from Siófok.
Its flag has been changed, blue, yellow and blue, with Coat of Arms (slightly modified). The flag is hoisted on Town Hall building, and I also have seen a desk flag of Zamárdi.
Home page of Zamárdi, where the newly adopted Coat of Arms also can be seen here.
Description of Coat of Arms (in English) at <www.nemzetijelkepek.hu>.
Zoltan Horvath, 17 February 2010
image by István Molnár, 16 March 2001
coat of arms
image from <www.somogy.hu>, located by István Molnár, 4 March 2001
Description of the Coat of Arms of the village: The gold sun
and the white gull relate to the beautiful Balaton, the silver
cross on the triplicate hill relates to the Holy Order of St.
Benedict, the cluster of grapes relates to the vineyards of the
settlement and the leaves of the oak-tree relates the great
forests of the settlement.
Description based on the Res. No. 15/1993 of the Council of the Community about the Coat of Arms of the settlement and the Res. No. 16/2000 of the Council of the Community about the flag and the Coat of Arms of the settlement
István Molnár, 16 March 2001