Last modified: 2011-11-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: jadrolinija | jadranska plovidba | jadranska linijska plovidba | jugolinija | jugoslavenska slobodna plovidba | star (red) | ugarsko-hrvatsko parobrodarsko drustvo | star: 6 points (white) | ungaro-croato |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Jadrolinija - Image by Željko Heimer, 22 November 2004
Jadrolinija, based in Rijeka, was also known as the Adriatic Line, officially changed name 1991 from Jadranska Linijska plovidba to Jadrolinija, by which it had previously been known, according to Lloyds although initially they showed it as first Jadrolinja P.O. and then as Javno poduzeće "Jadrolinja" P.O..
In 1986, the company owned 49 ships (14 cruisers, 31 coastal ferries and 4 internetional ferries) In 1996, it was organized as a joint-stock company; in 2001, it operated 48 ships and employed over 1,500 workers.
Željko Heimer & Neale Rosanoski, 3 January 2004
Jadrolinija entirely changed their visual identity in 1990. The house flag of the company, as seen on their headquarters and several ships in Rijeka in summer 1999, is white with the company emblem in the middle, consisting of red vertical lines forming a lozenge-like shape and the blue initial "J", and in the hoist upper corner a red bend and a blue bend in the lower fly corner.
Željko Heimer, 22 November 2004
Brown's 1995 [lgr95] shows a version in the name of their subsidiary Jadrolinija Cruises Ltd. with the diamond being shown as wholly red but this can be put down to the impossiblilty of showing the design of 19 red and white vertical stripes in small images.
Neale Rosanoski, 3 January 2004
House flag of Jadranska linijska plovidba - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 June 2001
Jadranska linijska plovidba was established in 1947 after nationalization of the company Jadranska plovidba of Sušak.
The house flag of Jadranska linijska plovidba, as shown by Josef Nuesse and Isaić [isa01], is white with a red voided lozenge charged with a red five-pointed star in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 1 November 2004
House flag of Jadranska plovidba - Image by Željko Heimer, 19 October 2004
Jadranska plovidba was established in 1922 in Sušak as a joint stock company by merging all the shipping companie of coastal navigation of Rijeka and the surroundings. It performed coastal shipping along the Adriatic coast, operating 67 steamships and launched tourist cruises in 1934.
The house flag of Jadranska plovidba, as shown by Isaić [isa01], is red with a white steamship emblem.
Željko Heimer, 19 October 2004
The Austro-Croatian Steamship Company was established in 1906 in Punat. Merged in 1912 with Krcko parobrodarsko društvo (KrK Steamship Company) from Šilo, the company served lines in the Kvarner Bay with four steamships. According to Talbot-Booth [tbb37], it amalgamated in 1922 into Jadranska plovidba.
The company emblem, as shown on a share, is a shield divided per fess argent a seven-pointed star gules and, maybe, azure an anchor in bend sinister argent. This is most probably based on the coat of arms of the most inportant noble family of the region, Frankopan (Frangepan): "Per fess gules and or in the first a mullet of the last". The Frankopan were lords of the Krk (Italian, Veglia) island, whose most important natural harbour is Punat. The Frankopan's heritage is still strong and venerated on Krk, therefore it would not be unusual that their arms served as the basis for the steamship company's emblem.
Željko Heimer, Neale Rosanoski & Jan Mertens, 9 January 2005
House flag of Ungaro-Croato - Image by Željko Heimer, 19 October 2004
Ugarsko-hrvatsko parobrodarsko društvo / Società in Azioni Ungaro-Croato di Navigazione Marittima a Vapore Coastal, established by the merging of smaller companies of Rijeka and Senj in 1891, developed into the largest coastal company of the Empire with 46 ships. The only three ships remaining after the First World War gave birth to Jadranska plovidba.
The house flag of Ungaro-Croato, as shown in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels (1912) [llo12], is red with a white six-pointed star.
Željko Heimer & Ian Sumner, 17 October 2004