This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Đurđenovac (Municipality, Osijek-Baranja County, Croatia)

Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: djurdjenovac | owl | oak | acorns: 2 (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipality flag]

Flag of Đurđenovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 July 2006

See also:

Presentation of Đurđenovac

Đurđenovac is located 60 km west of Osijek. It has 7,600 inhabitants, 3,500 in the place of the same name.
Đurđenovac was established in 1873 as the centre of the woodworks industry (reportedly, the largest barrel production in Europe) in the Slavonian woods. It was the first place in Slavonia and only the second in Croatia to introduce the use of the electric power (1891).
The village of Šaptinovci is one of the two parishes of the Old Catholic Church of Croatia (the other parish is in Zagreb). The Old Catholics split from the Roman Catholic Church in the 1870s because of the promulgation of the dogma of Papal Infallibility (1st Vatican Council, 1869-70). They number in Croatia only a few thousands, but have protection and agreements with the Croatian state on a similar level as some other small-numbered religious communities.
Đurđenovac was part of the Požega-Slavonia County until 1997.

Željko Heimer, 25 October 2007

Flag of Đurđenovac

The symbols of Đurđenovac are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Općine Đurđenovac, adopted on 15 December 2005 by the Municipality Assembly and published in the Municipality official gazette Službeni glasnik Općine Đurđenovac, No. 6.
The symbols were approved by the Central State Office for Administration on 3 May 2006.

The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka.

The flag is in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.

Željko Heimer, 25 October 2007

Coat of arms of Đurđenovac

[Municipality coat of arms]

Coat of arms of Đurđenovac - Image by Željko Heimer, 15 July 2006

The coat of arms is "Argent an owl proper holding an oak branch vert with three leaves of the same and two acorns or".
The green oak branch with acorns represents the tradition of woodworks and wood-processing industry; the white background represents the community and the tradition of tolerance of the people of Đurđenovac; the owl symbolizes the region, since it has permanent habitat there, but also stands for progress and wisdom.

Željko Heimer, 25 August 2008

Ceremonial flag of Đurđenovac

[Municipality coat of arms]         [Municipality coat of arms]

Ceremonial flag of Đurđenovac, two versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 25 October 2007

The ceremonial flag is a dark blue gonfalon with triangular ending and a fringe along the bottom. In the middle is the golden bordered coat of arms topped with the name of the community on two lines, the first word being arched. Below is the wreath of a bunch of corn ears and an oak branch.
Heraldic Art d.o.o. shows a photo of the ceremonial flag with lozenges under the wreath. The municipal administration confirmed that the two versions exist but explained that the official version has no lozenges.

Željko Heimer, 25 October 2007