Last modified: 2014-08-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: perusic |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Perušić - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 August 2013
The municipality of Perušić (2,638 inhabitants in 2011, 852 in the village of Perušić) is located 10-15 km north of Gospić.
Željko Heimer, 7 September 2003
The symbols of Perušić are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi općine Perušić, adopted on 15 May 1996 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 4 June 1996 in the County official gazette Županijski glasnik Županije Ličko-senjske, No. 13.
The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka.
The flag is described in Article 8 of the Decision as follows:
The flag of the the Municipality is of a single colour, blue with the coat of arms of the Municipality in the middle, bordered yellow (golden).
The ratio of the flag's width to its length is 1:2. The coat of arms of the Municipality is set in the middle of the flag so that its central point matches the crossing point of the flag's diagonals.
Željko Heimer, 19 October 2011
Coat of arms of Perušić - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 August 2013
The coat of arms is described in Article 5 of the Decision as follows:
The coat of arms of the Municipality consists in a semi-circular shield on a blue field a yellow (golden) lion walking and holding in his right paw an erect white (silver) feather. The coat of arms is outlined with a black line.
The coat of arms is based on the 15th century coat of arms of the ancient Croatian noble family of the same name. The family, originating from regions further inlands, moved to the place due to the Ottoman conquests and established there a stronghold of the same name. One of the brothers who established the place, Gašpar Perušić, was among the signers of the Treaty of Pressburg (1491), which ensured the Habsburg sucession to the Croatian-Hungarian throne in case Vladislas II had no male heir (as it happened he had one, Ludovik/Luis II, who succeededhim, but the thone eventually passed to the Habsburgs). Gašpar's coat of arms is featured on a seal attached to the treaty charter, and is shown in various medieval armorials as "Argent a lion passant or". The modern municipality took the coat of arms of its founders and modified it by adding a feather, symbolizing literacy, in honour of the first book printed in Croatia, in the nearby village of Kosinj, the Roman Missal (1448). The feather (Croatian, pero) also makes the arms canting, as a possible etymology of the place/family name.
Željko Heimer & Tomislav Šipek, 1 August 2013