This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bay Islands Department (Honduras)

Departamento de Islas de la Bahía

Last modified: 2014-05-29 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: bay islands | islas de la bahía | honduras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:


Municipalities:

  • Roatán
  • Guanaja
  • José Santos Guardiola
  • Útila

Bay Islands

In the zone existed two British colonies. The Protected Kingdon of the Moquitos (today Miskitos, see Mosquito Coast), and the colony of Bay Islands (today Hondurian province). Both were given up before the 1864 Order-in-Council that permitted colonies to have ensigns with flag badges - Mosquito Coast in 1860 to Nicaragua and the Bay Islands in 1859 to Honduras.
Roy Stilling, 26 July 1996


Swan Islands

On November 22, 1971, the US and Honduras signed a treaty recognizing Honduran sovereignty over the Swan Islands, whih had been claimed under the Guano Act of 1856. The treaty was effective September 1, 1972.
Phil Nelson, 27 April 2000