This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Empros Lines Shipping Co. Sp. S.A. (Shipping company, Greece)

Last modified: 2012-02-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: empros lines | letter: d (white) | dracopoulous |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Empros Lines house flag]

House flag of Empros Lines - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2009

See also:

Presentation of Empros

Quoting the company website:

The company's roots lie in the mid 19th century, when Captain George P. Dracopoulos (1830-1898), from the island of Myconos in Greece, built the 280 ton barque Philadelphos in a joint venture with grain merchant Ambanopoulos, who was based in the Sea of Azov. The first vessel to carry the name Empros was a 2,418 grt steamship acquired by his son, Markos G. Dracopoulos (1867-1918), in 1914. The expansion into regular line activities was initiated in 1950 by George M. Dracopoulos, with the purchase of the S.S. Avance, which means "Forward" in French and translates into "Empros" in Greek. Hence the name "Empros Lines".
Since its establishment, Empros Lines has rapidly developed as a liner operator, a partial/full cargo shipment operator, forwarder and manager of a fleet of bulk carriers and general cargo vessels having bought, built and sold over 50 vessels to date.

Ivan Sache, 9 November 2009

House flag of Empros Lines

The house flag of Empros, as shown by Josef Nuesse and, graphically, on the company website, is divided blue-white by an ascendant diagonal and bears a white "D", for Dracopoulos, in canton.

Ivan Sache, 9 November 2009