This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Adjara (Georgia): Historical flags

Last modified: 2011-03-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: adjara | lazistan | wreath (green) | tree | batumi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


Lazika or Lazistan was a principality under successive Byzantine and Arab rule.
Occupied in the 9th century by the Principality of Taoklardjetia, Lazistan was annexed in the 10th century by the Kingdom of Georgia. Autonomy was gained in 1010.
In the 14th century, Lazistan was transferred to the Principality of Guria but retained autonomy. In the 15th century it was occupied for a short period by the Ottoman army, and again occupied in the 16th century. It was then reconquered by Gurian Prince Rostima (1564), reoccupied two times, and reconquered, for the last time, by Prince Mamia Gureli in 1604. In 1627, it was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire and the country was islamized.


Banner of Lazistan - Image by Jaume Ollé, 17 November 1996

The oldest known flag of Lazistan is a heraldic banner from the 18th century, probably still in use on 28 August 1878, when the country was annexed to the Russian Empire (following the Treaty of Saint Stephen) as an autonomous territory (1878-1883), later incorporated into the Kutais Province (1883-1903). The oblast of Batum was created on 1 Juny 1903 within the General Government of Georgia.

Jaume Ollé, 17 November 1996

Republic of Batumi

Republic of Batum

Flag of the Republic of Batumi - Image by Jaume Ollé, 17 November 1996

The Republic of Batumi was then created in and survived until 1920, when it was occupied by the Georgians.
Its flag was seen again in 1992 during popular demonstrations.

Jaume Ollé, 17 November 1996