Last modified: 2015-05-17 by rob raeside
Keywords: royal norfolk and suffolk yacht club | red ensign | feathers |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club was founded in
1859. I'm not sure when the ensign was officiated. You can visit the club's
Clay Moss, 1 February 2006
web page (quoting "The First 125 years", by Charles Goodey, included in
RNSYC, 125 Years Sailing, 1859-1984, a commemorative booklet published in 1984
to mark the 125th Anniversary of the club's foundation) states "Mrs. Colman
broke the club flag over the new headquarters for the first time." on 11 July
1903, so a club flag was certainly in existence on that date.
Colin Dobson, 1 February 2006
A Red Ensign defaced with the Prince of Wales feathers is
shown in the Admiralty Flag Book of 1875 as being that of the Norfolk and
Suffolk Yacht Club. It is marked "No Warrant : Ensign Illegal".
The Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club was granted a Red Ensign defaced with a crown and Prince of Wales feathers in February 1898. On 17 March 1898 the club applied to the Home Office for the right to add "Royal" to the club's name, adding that the club had been established for fifty years, had an Admiralty Warrant, and that its members had twelve yachts with a total tonnage of 470. The Home Office checked with the Admiralty who confirmed the warrant, but stated that they did not offer opinions on use of the title Royal. The application was laid before Queen Victoria on 3 May 1898, but refused on the grounds that the club was not sufficiently important. In 1909 the Home Office found that ten yacht clubs that called themselves Royal, were doing so without authorisation; one was the Norfolk and Suffolk. When the matter was investigated it was found that the Admiralty had incorrectly made out the warrant to the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club. The Home Secretary then appears to have been approached personally, as the club claimed that Matthew Ridley had said "you have what you wanted." The club had therefore been using the title since June 1898. The Admiralty claimed that the Home Office had not told them that the title had been refused. The title was officially granted to the club on 18 May 1909.
[National Archives (PRO) HO 144/605/B26398]
David Prothero, 1 February 2006
The feathers are gathered in a Prince of Wales coronet.
When the Norfolk & Suffolk Yacht Club applied for a special ensign the warrant
was mistakenly made out to the Royal N & SYC, and as a consequence a royal crown
was incorrectly included in the defacement. Donít expect yacht club special
ensigns to be consistent. The Royal Welsh Yacht Club ensign has the Prince of
Wales feathers and a royal crown, but the Royal Cornwall Yacht Club ensign has
the Prince of Wales feathers and no royal crown.
David Prothero, 16 April 2015
image by Clay Moss, 19 August 2014
The Dumpy Book of Ships and the Sea (1957)
shows the burgee as the Prince of Wales ostrich feathers surmounted by a crown
on a red field.
James Dignan, 12 February 2008