Last modified: 2014-12-13 by rob raeside
Keywords: poole yacht club | hamworthy and bournemouth yacht club | bournemouth | fir cone | blue ensign |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
This flag (described as the ensign of the Hamworthy and Bournemouth Yacht Club) appears to be identical to that displayed and described in Graham Bartram's World Flag Database as the ensign of the Poole Yacht Club. The reason is explained at http://www.pooleyc.co.uk/frame_pyc_start.htm:
The story begins back in the middle of the 19th Century when the first
records can be traced. Poole Yacht Club, as it is now constituted, is really the
result of three clubs all closely connected in various stages eventually
becoming one Club as it is today. The original Poole Yacht Club is thought to
have been founded in 1865 but was probably in existence in some form many years
earlier. The centenary was actually celebrated in 1965 at Hamworthy.
In 1898 The Hamworthy Sailing Club was started and many years later in 1936 it became known as The Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club. Subsequently in 1948 it became the Poole Yacht Club having taken over the name of the original club which had become almost defunct. The old club had headquarters in Poole High Street and the last Commodore was a Commander Linklater, who was also a Member of the Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club. He offered the name and all records and trophies if the Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club would take over the name of the Poole Yacht Club in order to preserve it in perpetuity. This was agreed and the 'new' Poole Yacht Club was officially registered with Commander Norman Hibbs as Commodore................
..................One reason was to build up the total tonnage of yachts belonging to members in order to be able to apply for an Admiralty Warrant. This would give the Club the right to use the Blue Ensign which was a rare privilege amongst clubs in the U.K. The minimum Thames tonnage required was 2000 tons so it was extremely difficult to reach that figure. Only one other club locally had this distinction, the Royal Motor Yacht Club. For a while, Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club could only muster about 700 tons, a long way from the target. The Commodore had invited Tom Sopwith, that famous sailor to open the extension of the Club but he was unable to be present. The Commodore and Ken Morgan then had the brilliant idea of inviting Sopwith to accept honorary membership of the club and, being an old friend of Col. Pierce, he gladly accepted. It meant, of course, that his large yachts, including the famous Endeavour, brought the total tonnage to over the required 2000 tons.
Application was made to the Admiralty later in 1938 and the Warrant was granted.
It was undoubtedly a shock to some of the local yachting fraternity and other Clubs that the relatively small Hamworthy and Bournemouth Sailing Club should have the important Blue Ensign. The surprise and envy delighted the Commodore immensely.
The Ensign was defaced by a circle on the blue background containing the cross of the Club's burgee and a gold coloured fir cone in the centre. This fir cone represents the name 'Bournemouth' in the name. It is still our emblem but the ensign can only be flown on yachts that are registered and the owner a club member. It is also a requirement that the Ensign must be flown under the Club's burgee and only when the owner is on board or in the near vicinity. At all other times only the Red Ensign is allowed to be flown.
Peter Johnson, 31 May 2005
image by Clay Moss, 21 May 2007
A blue fimbriated red cross, as on the badge of the flag, but without the fir
Clay Moss, 21 May 2007
The burgee of the original Poole Yacht Club, 1865 – 1948, was divided in two
by a line from the centre of the burgee’s upper edge to the lower hoist corner.
The triangle on the hoist side of this line contained a blue seahorse on a white
background; the fly triangle was red.
I notice that the International Burgee Registry says that the club was founded 1852.
David Prothero, 12 November 2014