Last modified: 2008-07-26 by rob raeside
Keywords: department of trade and industry |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Graham Bartram
Source: Graham Bartram, British Flags and Emblems, Tuckwell Press, 2004.
The badge was original introduced, possibly in about 1850 on a Red Ensign,
for the Board of Trade. It displays a sailing ship flying an ensign.
David Prothero, 24 September 2004
The ensign was discontinued in 1949 but re-instated 1954.
David Prothero, 30 June 2004
We still have a Board of Trade (it's part of the Department of Trade and
Industry) so that ensign should still be current.
Graham Bartram, 29 June 2004
by Martin Grieve, 5 April 2008
On page 68 of Das Grosse Flaggenbuch
(1992 re-print) appears an illustration of a square blue jack which is defaced
with a sailing vessel adjacent to the Ensign of the Board of Trade. The
dimensions for the badge are given as exactly one quarter of the Jack's width. I
have used the modern-day Union canton where the breadth of the St. George's
cross is much thicker than the one illustrated in the source.
There appears to be some confusion as to whether Public Office Jacks were defaced with the badge of the Department, or left plain. David Prothero's research into the matter yielded the following:
In 1939 both Flaggenbuch and 'Flags of the World' by V. Wheeler-Holohan used the Board of Trade jack as an example of Public Service jacks. 'Flaggenbuch' showed it with the Board of Trade badge in the fly, while Wheeler-Holohan wrote that it was plain. "The Board of Trade also flies as its distinguishing badge in the fly of the Blue Ensign a circular device showing a sailing vessel at sea, flying the jack for vessels in the employ of public offices at the Jack-staff, and the Blue Ensign at the stern. This Jack for vessels in the employ of Public Offices is a square Blue Ensign with the Union taking up the first quarter exactly." An illustration of the flag shows a plain square blue jack.
The relevant entry in King's Regulations and Admiralty Instructions of the time was:
"Ensigns of Public Offices.- Ships and vessels employed in the service of any public office shall carry a blue ensign, and a small blue flag with a Union described in a canton at the upper corner thereof next to the staff, as a jack, but in the centre of the fly of such ensign and jack, that is, in the centre of that part between the Union and the end of the flag, shall be inserted the badge of the office to which they belong."
Clearly 'Flags of the World' was wrong, but the mistake was repeated in successive editions by H. Gresham Carr and E.M.C. Barraclough until the 1971 edition, when reference to the Board of Trade was removed following its reorganisation as the Department of Trade and Industry.
In practice very few departments use a jack. "... public service departments are authorised to use a square version of their Blue Ensign as a Jack. Currently only the Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service, Marine Society and Northern Lighthouse Board vessels are believed to do this. HM Army Vessels wore the Union Flag as their jack, as did HM Air Force Vessels when they existed. The British Antarctic Survey and the Sea Cadet Corps use the merchant jack (also known as the pilot jack)."
'Colours of the Fleet' by Malcolm Farrow.
The Department of Trade and Industry has now become the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, and is thought not to have a flag.
Martin Grieve, 5 April 2008