This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Gillingham, Dorset (England)
Last modified: 2010-08-21 by rob raeside
Keywords: gillingham | dorset |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
In a twinning ceremony with Le Neubourg a picture taken during the ceremony
shows a possible flag of Gillingham, yellow with the coat of arms in the middle.
A town badge was designed in 1953 incorporating a shield of white background, with three wavy blue bands crossing horizontally to denote the three rivers. A red royal hart's head with twelve pointed antlers surmounted by a crown signified the Royal Forest. A gilt and enamel Chairmanís official badge was made of this and was presented to the Chairman of the Parish Council on 30th August 1954. The original plaster model is in the Museum and the badge is now widely used in the town at the discretion of the Council. Mr
'Dinger' Bell, a well known Gillingham resident, presented the town with a flag of its own design, and a ceremony was held in the High Street car park when it was raised on the town flag pole for the first time. It is flown to mark notable dates and events in Gillingham.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2007
Laurence Jones, 10 April 2007