This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Daher (Shipping company, France)

Last modified: 2013-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: daher | cross (white) | letter: d (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Daher]         [Flag of Daher]

House flag of Daher
Left, as shown by P. Bois - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 February 2004;
Right, as shown by Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies - Image by Jarig Bakker, 12 January 2005

See also:

History of Daher

In 1887, Barban and Daher attempted to find a convenient way to ship heavy and cumbersome packets. After a few successful chartering operations, the two associates decided to found their own shipping company. In 1895, they bought SS Saint-Jacques from the Société Navale de l'Ouest and opened a line between Marseilles and Tunisia.
Barban withdrew in 1899, so that and Paul Daher remained the sole owner of the Société de Navigation à Vapeur Daher. A second, bigger cargo ship, SS Saint-Nicolas, was purchased, which replaced SS Saint-Jacques, lost on Cap Couronne, west of Marseilles in November 1899.
In 1904, Daher purchased a bigger cargo ship, SS Sainte-Hélène, which was used to transport heavy materials such as railway engines and rails. The even bigger SS Sainte-Marguerite, bought in 1913, confirmed the specialization of Daher in heavy transport. Both ships were commissioned by the state during the First World War. SS Sainte-Marguerite shipped heavy artillery batteries to the eastern front, and was sunk off Matapan (Greece) in 1915 by an U-boat. SS Sainte-Hélène blew up on a mine in 1917.
In 1921, Daher bought a new ship, SS Sainte-Marguerite II and reopened the Tunisian line. Until 1930, the company bought another four ships and extended its lines to Lebanon, then under French mandate.

In 1945, Daher had lost all of its ships. The fleet was rebuilt and the company was renamed Société Daher de Gérance et d'Armement. Service to Tunisia and eastern Mediterranean Sea resumed. In 1951, the company was once again renamed, Compagnie de Navigation Daher. The fleet was regularly updated and the company survived the big restructuration of the French merchant navy that took place in the 1970s.
In 1972, Daher, the Compagnie Transméditerranéenne and the Société Navale Caennaise founded an economic interest group (GIE, groupement d'intérêt économique) called Sudcargos.

Source: Paul Bois. Armements marseillais - Compagnies de navigation et navires à vapeur (1831-1988), published by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry Marseille-Provence [boi03].

Ivan Sache, 17 February 2004

House flag of Daher

P. Bois [boi03] shows the house flag of Daher as red with a white cross and a blue (or black?) "D" in the middle of the cross. Brown's Flags and Funnels of British and Foreign Steamship Companies [wed26] shows the flag without the "D".
The white cross on red recalls the Danish origin of the Daher family.

Ivan Sache & Jarig Bakker, 12 January 2005