Last modified: 2012-04-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: yvelines | velizy-villacoublay | star (yellow) | letter: v (white) | quintefoils: 2 (yellow) | wheat | war cross |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vélizy-Villacoublay - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 26 September 2003
The municipality of Vélizy-Villacoubly (20,030 inhabitants in 2006; 893 ha, including 313 ha in the Meudon national forest) is located south-west of Paris.
Vélizy, Villacoublay and L'Ursine belonged in the middle Ages to the Hôtel Dieu (General Hospital) of Paris. In 1695, King Louis XIV bought L'Ursine and Villacoublay to increase his hunting domain. Vélizy was incorporated into the Royal hunting domain by Louis XVI.
In the 19th century, Vélizy was looted and burned two times by the Prussians, in 1815 - and then nicknamed Little Moscow - and in 1870-1871. At that time, Vélizy and the hamlet of Villacoublay had a population of 270. Vélizy-Villacoublay was one of the biggest grain-producing municipalities of the department (then called Seine-et-Oise), the production being divided among three big estates.
On 25 August 1885, the dirigeable La France landed in a
field near Villacoublay. This event was the onset of aeronautics in
Vélizy-Villacoublay. Louis Bréguet (1880-1955), a
French aircraft manufacturer from a Swiss clockmakers' family, built
his hangars in Villacoublay. Léon (1885-1918) and Robert
(1886-1968) Morane founded with Saulnier the Morane-Saulnier company,
which built its private airfield in Villacoublay in 1913. The
Nieuport company, founded by édouard Nieuport (1875-1911) and manufacturer of the Nieuport 11 biplane used during the First World War by the French Air Force, shared after the war another airfield with Bréguet.
In 1911, the Air Force established its center for flight trials (centre d'essais en vol) in Villacoublay.
In the 1930s, the urbanization plan around Paris should have made of Vélizy-Villacoublay a modern town with 100,000 inhabitants. However, the Air Force and the aircraft manufacturers refused to leave so that the plan was never realized. Private housing estates developed in the boroughs of Le Clos and Vélizy-le-Bas (Lower Vélizy), a borough separated from the rest of the municipality by the Meudon forest. A garden-estate was built near the airfield for Bréguet's workers.
The Air Force base, occupied by the Germans from 1940 to 1944, was bombed six times by the allied forces. On 24 August 1943, bombs targeted to the Bréguet hangars fell on the boroughs of Le Clos and Village, killing 43 and injuring 106.
After the Second World War, Vélizy-Villacoublay was
declared a "disaster city" (ville sinistrée) and urban
development zone (zone à urbaniser en priorité,
ZUP) in 1958. In the 1960s, Robert Wagner, Mayor of the town from 1953 to 1988, proposed a new urbanization plan to the Minister of
Construction. The urbanist Robert Auzelle and the architect Alain
Gillot were appointed project managers of the Grand Ensemble,
which was built from 1962 to 1967. Two new boroughs, Mozart and
Louvois, were built from scratch on the western and eastern sides of
the municipality, respectively. A business park was later opened in
the eastern side around the shopping mail of Vélizy 2 -
one of those huge regional shopping mails (centre commercial
régional) built around Paris.
Nowadays, the municipality of Vélizy-Villacoublay offers more than 30,000 jobs and the shopping mail and its satellites have around 20 millions visitors per year.
The Airforce Base 107 (Base aérienne Sous-Lieutenant Dorme) houses the staff
headquarters of the Northeastern Air Region. The regional
headquarters of the Compagnies Républicaines de
Sécurité (CRS, the riot police) for Paris and
Île-de-France are also stationed in Vélizy-Villacoublay.
Official planes usually take off from and land in Villacoublay, as well as most aircrafts involved in the air parade of 14 July.
Sources: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2003
The flag of Vélizy-Villacoublay, hoisted in front of the Town Hall and in other places, is diagonally divided (per bend) blue-yellow, with the municipal arms in the middle .
The coat of arms was officially adopted on 24 May 1957 by the Municipal Council. According to the minutes of this Council session:
The Mayor presents the illuminated model of the arms and gave the following heraldic description:
D'azur à deux vols d'argent en forme de V posés l'un au-dessus de l'autre accompagnée en chef d'une étoile et en pointe de deux quintefeuilles ; entre chacun des vols de deux épis de blés tigés et feuillés posés l'un en bande, l'autre en banc, le tout d'or.
L'ecu timbré de la couronne aérienne d'or et d'argent des villes "bases aériennes et aéroports". L'écu soutenu par deux gerbes de roseaux d'or fruités de sable hissant (sic) de quatre burelles ondées d'argent posées en pointe. La croix de guerre 1939-1945, étoile d'argent, appendue en pointe de l'écu brochant sur les burelles ondées.
The symbolic of the arms is explained as follows:
The main charge of the arms is made of two stylized, V-shaped pairs of wings recalling the initials of Vélizy and Villacoublay and the military function of the Villacoublay airfield. The star surmonting the wings comes from the pilot's emblem. It symbolizes both guiding (Bethlehem Star) and orientation (North Star).
The two wheat stems symbolize the agricultural lands of the municipality. The quintefoil, as the symbol of the forest flora, represents the Vélizy forest.
The shield is surmonted by the air crown granted to town hosting Airforce bases and airports. The reeds growing out of water represents the two ponds of L'Ursine and Écrevisses [Crawfishes].
The War Cross 1939-1945, with silver star, was awarded to Vélizy-Villacoubaly by Decree No. 16 of 27 May 1952.
Source: Municipal website (former version)
Ivan Sache, 26 September 2003