Last modified: 2004-10-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: pas-de-calais | yacht club | boulogne-sur-mer | wimereux | touquet (le) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Ivan Sache
Le Touquet is a seaside resort of c. 6,000 inhabitants located on the Channel and the estuary of the river Canche, called Bay of Canche. The resort was created in the XIXth century and rapidly attracted English tourists. In 1912, the resort was renamed Le Touquet-Paris-Plage. The sand beach of Le Touquet stretches over 12 km southwards until the estuary of the river Authie and over 1 km westwards at lower tide. A mixed forest (800 ha of maritime pines, poplars, birches, alders) was planted in 1855 to protect from the wind several posh villas of Anglo-Normand or modern style. In the same area are located the racetrack, the Casino, the Congress Hall and the Catering School of Le Touquet.
The yacht-club Cercle Nautique du Touquet has its club house at the southern end of the promenade. Its burgee is horizontally divided green-white-green with the club logo in the middle, an arrangement of the red letters C N T.
Source: CNT website
Ivan Sache, 14 February 2003
by Ivan Sache
Wimereux is a sea resort of 7,000 inhabitants located on the
Côte d'Opale, the portion of the coast of Pas-de-Calais
between Calais and Boulogne-sur-Mer.
The Pointe des Oies (Geese Point) is located close to Wimereux. In August 1840, Prince Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte (later Emperor Napoléon III) landed there in an aborted attempt to uprise the Boulogne garrison againt King Louis-Philippe. After the failure of the attempt, the Prince was jailed in the fort of Ham (destroyed in 1917 during the First World War), from which he escaped on 25 May 1846, using the clothes of a mason named Badinguet. During the Second Empire, Victor Hugo, Napoléon III's main opponent, nicknamed him Napoléon le Petit (the Small), as opposed to Napoléon I le Grand (the Great) or Badinguet.
The burgee of the Club Nautique de Wimereux is a white triangle with a blue border all around and two white triangles with a blue border placed vertically along the hoist and a blue W in the middle.
Source: CNW website
Ivan Sache, 17 July 2002