Last modified: 2005-12-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: loiret | fleury-les-aubrais |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 26 March 2005
The municipality of Fleury-les-Aubrais (20,690 inhabitants in 1999; 1,012 hectares) is located north of Orléans. Once a winegrowers and gardeners' village, the city developed around the railway station built in the middle of the XIXth century.
The oldest known settlement in Fleury-les-Aubrais dates back to 1030. Monks from the St. Benoît abbey, located c. 30 km east of Orléans, cleared the forest north of Orléans and built a chapel dedicated to St. Andrew. They named the neighbouring parish Fleury-sur-Loire (Floriacum). The parish was planted with vineyards and vegetable gardens, and was known in the XIth century as Fleury-aux-Choux (chou = cabbage).
In 1857, a big railway station was built at the junction of the three
lines Paris-Orléans, Orléans-Tours and Orléans-Vierzon. The station
was called Les Aubrais, the name of the neighbouring hamlet. In 1907,
upon request of the Municipal Council, the municipality of
Fleury-aux-Choux was renamed Fleury-les-Aubrais by Presidential Decree.
The population of Fleury-les-Aubrais was then 2,000. Railroad men
represented more than a quarter of the active population of the city.
From 20 May to 4 July 1944, Fleury-les-Aubrais was hit by five bombings
aimed at the railways, which destroyed half of the city. In 1948, the
city was awarded the War Cross with a Silver-Gilt Star.
After the Second World War, industrial parks were built along the railways and the railroad men's number decreased. Fleury-les-Aubrais is today the second biggest city in the department of Loiret after Orléans.
On 23 March 1997, Fleury-les-Aubrais twinned with the city of Gračanica, in Bosnia and Herzegovina. This was the first official twinning between cities from France and Bosnia and Herzegovina. Fleury-les-Aubrais is also twinned with the Italian city of Formia. The rebuilding of Gračanica was supported by Fleury-les-Aubrais and Formia.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 26 March 2005
The municipal flag of Fleury-les-Aubrais is shown in the
catalogue of the flag manufacturer Aviso.
The flag is vertically divided green-red with a white lettering, FLEURY-LES-AUBRAIS in an arched pattern and LOIRET horizontally.
Green and red are the colours of the city. The municipal coat of arms is (municipal website):
Palé de sinople et de gueules de six pièces, au chef cousu d'azur chargé de trois fleurs de lys d'or et d'un lambel d'argent.
Six pallets vert and gules, chief azure three fleurs-de-lis or a label argent.
The chief shows the traditional arms of the province of Orléanais, whereas the field recalls the ribbon of the War Cross.
Pascal Vagnat, Arnaud Leroy & Ivan Sache, 26 March 2005