This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Concarneau (Municipality, Finistère, France)


Last modified: 2007-02-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: finistere | concarneau | konk-kerne | ermines (black) | axes: 3 (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Concarneau]

Flag of Concarneau - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 14 September 2002

See also:

Presentation of Concarneau

Concarneau (20,000 inhabitants) is located on the Atlantic Sea. The Breton name of the city is Konk-Kerné, meaning "the shelter of Cornouaille".
The historical part of the town, called Ville-Close (Enclosed City) was built on a small island (350 x 100 m) linked to the mainland by a fortified bridge. The island is enclosed in walls built in XIVth century and reinforced in the XVIIth century.

Concarneau is the first French fishing port for fresh fish and tuna. The Fishery Museum is located in Ville-Close and a marine biology laboratory owned by the National Museum of Natural History is located on the mainland. The former fish market was replaced by a modern salesroom (criée). The Festival of the Blue Nets (Festival des Filets Bleus) was created in 1905 to raise funds for the fishers' families. It takes place every year on the penultimate Sunday of August.

The castle of Kériolet, a manor from the XVth century located 1.5 km north of Concarneau, was transformed in the XIXth century into a neo-medieval castle by the Russian princess Zenaid Narishkin-Jusupov. Prince Iusupov was among Rasputin's murderers (1916).

Source: Guide Vert Michelin Bretagne

Ivan Sache, 14 September 2002

Flag of Concarneau

According to P. Rault (Les drapeaux bretons de 1188 à nos jours [rau98]), the flag of Concarneau is white with a semy of ermine spots and three red axes placed horizontally, the blade facing the hoist. This flag is a banner of the municipal arms.

Ivan Sache, 14 September 2002