Last modified: 2011-04-01 by peter hans van den muijzenberg
Keywords: cerecinos de campos | zamora | walnuts: 5 (yellow) | cross: maltese (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image from Eduardo Panizo Gómez's "Vexilla Hispanica," 02 Dec 2010
The flag of Cerecinos de Campos is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 June 2008 by the Municipal Council, signed on 8 July 2008 by the Mayor, and published on 17 July 2008 in the official gazette of Castile and Leon, No. 137, p. 14,840. The flag is described as follows:
Flag divided per bend sinister, with proportions 2:3, the upper part argent, the bend azure, the lower part gules, in the middle the coat of arms of Cerecinos de Campos.
The division of the flag by a blue bend represents the division of the municipality in two distinct jurisdictions by the Vega Brook - the brook still divides the village into two boroughs. Blue is also the color of the Immaculate Conception, recalling that Cerecinos de Campos was one the thirteen villages of the Land of Villalpando, belonging to the Lord of Velasco, who vowed in 1466 to defend the Purissime and Immaculate Conception of Mary.
The upper, white triangle represents the Upper Borough, aka the
Constable's Borough. White symbolizes limpidity, complete innocence,
memory of the past, old foundation - probably Roman. The borough
belonged to the Constables of Castile, lords of Villalpando, whose
arms included argent. White, as the color of purity and virginity,
recalls that st. Mary is the patron saint of the Upper Borough.
The lower, red triangle represents the Lower Borough, aka the
Commandery's Borough. Red symbolizes force, struggle, power, valiance,
prestige and St. John's martyr. The borough was granted to the Order
of St. John in 1174 by King Ferdinand II; red recalls the field gules
of the arms of the Order.
Ivan Sache, 23 Nov 2010
The coat of arms of Cerecinos de Campos was adopted on 23 March 1993 by Municipal Decree and validated on 2 September by the Provincial Government; the final Decree was published in the Spanish official gazette on 16 December 1993. The coat of arms is described as follows:
Field divided from the chief to the base by a vertical line, the left - or principal - quarter gules a cross of the Order of St. John's argent, the right quarter azure five walnuts or placed per saltire. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.The dexter part of the shield recalls the aforementioned Commandery of the Order of St. John.
The five walnuts in the sinister part recall an old, lost local tradition: on St. Stephen's Day, five walnuts and a jug of wine were offered to each member of the St. Stephen's brotherhood; the present wes thrown through a window or a door if the member was still asleep.
Source: Cerecinos de Campos unofficial website
The image of the flags shown on that page must have been used to make the image stored in Wikimedia Commons, which, unfortunately, does not match the legal 2:3 proportions.
Ivan Sache, 23 Nov 2010