This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Grajera (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: grajera | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Grajera

The municipality of Grajera (182 inhabitants in 2009; 1,269 ha; municipal website) is located in the northeast of Segovia Province, 75 km from Segovia.
Grajera was mentioned for the first time, as Graiera, in 1204; the modern name of the village appeared as early as 1247. This name may refer to a place known as Peña Grajera, "a rock [peña] inhabited by jays [grajos]). A village with this name existed in the municipality of Villadiego (Burgos Province); its inhabitants may have moved to Grajera and have named the new place for their ancient village.
The emblematic monument of Grajera is an obelisk-shaped pillory, known as picota, once used by the Spanish Inquisition.

Ivan Sache, 22 November 2010

Symbols of Grajera

The flag and arms of Grajera are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 4 April 2008 by the Municipal Council, signed on 18 April 2008 by the Mayor, and published on 17 September 2008 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 180, p. 18,419 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular panel, with proportions 1:1, white, with a blue saltire whose arms have a height of 1/8 the flag's size. In the middle, the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Azure a pillory argent. A bordure or charged with four pairs of wings sable placed in the center of the chief, base and flanks [Crown not mentioned].

Ivan Sache, 22 November 2010