This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tamames (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: tamames | salamanca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Tamames - Image by Ivan Sache, 25 May 2011

See also:

Presentation of Tamames

The municipality of Tamames (971 inhabitants in 2010; 6,069 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of Salamanca Province, 60 km from Salamanca.

Tamames is of very ancient origin, as evidenced by Celtiberian granite statues found near the village. The ruined tower, whose gate is decorated with pre-Romanesque drawings, must date from the Visigothic period (5th-7th centuries). In the 11th century, the resettlement of the area was achieved and the tower lost its strategic importance. Tamames was transferred in 1284 by King Sancho to Alfonso Godínez; in 1480, Rodrigo de Godínez obtained from Queen Isabel the title of villa for Tamames, which boosted its development. Tamames was made a Duchy in 1805.
On 18 October 1809, the Spanish Army commanded by General Duke del Parque defeated the French troops in the Battle of Tamames.

Ivan Sache, 25 May 2011

Symbols of Tamames

The flag of Tamames (municipal website), designed by Salvador Llopis Llopis, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 May 1999 by the Municipal Council, signed on 28 May 1999 by the Mayor, and published on 8 June 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 108, p. 6,119 (text),
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular, horizontally divided argent and gules, with the coat of arms. Considering that the coat of arms should be of 3/5 the hoist, our design, with proportions 12 cm, shall have the coat of arms with 7 cm in height and 3.5 cm in width.

The coat of arms of Tamames (municipal website), adopted on 4 September 1987 by the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 29 January 1988 by the Government of Castilla y León, and published on 10 February 1988 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 27 (text),
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules four flags argent per saltire two drums or, 2a. Argent a piece of pottery gules, 2b. Argent a holly oak vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The flags and drums represent the Battle of Tamames, while the piece of pottery (puchero) recalls the once famous potters of the village.

Ivan Sache & Dov Gutterman, 25 May 2011