Last modified: 2010-03-27 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: tudelilla | grapes (golden) | crown | fur (vair) | vair | chequy (or and vair) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The village of Tudelilla (421 inhabitants in 2005) is located in the region of Lower Rioja (Rioja Baja), close to the border with Navarra. The main production of the village is Rioja wine (mostly red wine), with several "bodegas" (cellars): the Sociedad Cooperativa Vinicola de Tudelilla, producing the "Vivaz" wine since 2001; the cellar "El Cidacos," founded in 1958 by the Pérez-Marzo family, which has been involved in wine production since 1839; the Sáenz-Yustes cellar, founded in 2000 by the namesake family, which has been involved in wine production since seven generations, producing the "Prago" wine; and the Ortega-Esquerro cellar, founded in 1997 by a family involved in wine production since 1897. The most commonly grown vines are Garnacha and Tempranillo.
Tudelilla was originally a small village, whose inhabitants were involved in sheep breeding, trade and some agriculture. This tradition is confirmed by the oldest parish archives. The only religious building was then the St. Bárbara Hermitage. When the population increased, houses and a church were built. Tudellilla was ran by a mayor and stewards but the power was exerted by the mayor and lord of Arnedo, whose title was "lord of the town and city of Arnedo, of its villages, hamlets and lands." The most famous lords of Tudelilla were the Dukes of Uceda.
In 1602, Tudelilla had 89 inhabitants; on 9 July 1684, it became a town independent from Arnedo. The title of "very noble and loyal" was confered upon Tudelilla on 27 October 1738. The most famous child of Tudelilla is Cosme Marrodán Rubio (1802-1888). After having studied in the Seminary of Logroño and it the University of Zaragoza, Marrodán was ordained priest. In 1846, he was appointed Preacher of the Queen. In 1857, Marrodán was appointed Bishop of Zaragoza; he criticized the recognition of the new Kingdom of Italy by Spain, considering it an attack against the inalienable rights of the Holy See. His sermons were so violent that they were reported to the State Council. In 1871, he was elected Senator of the Kingdom for the ecclesiastic province of Zaragoza and opposed to the adoption of the civil marriage. 
Ivan Sache, 06 Mar 2003
"El Correo Digital" reported on 27 May 2006  the approval on 26 May 2006 of the flag and arms of Tudelilla by the Executive of La Rioja. The proposal of the municipal administration was accepted by the Royal Academy of History.
The flag of Tudelilla is vertically divided yellow-blue with the municipal arms in the middle. The arms of Tudelilla are "un campo de sinople con ondas de azur y plata puestas en punta, surmontadas de un racimo de uvas de oro, tallado y hojado y presenta, además, un jaquelado de quince piezas, de las que ocho son de oro y siete piezas son de veros;" per pale first vert a grape wavy azure and argent in base second chequered fifteen pieces or and vair.
A big image of the flag is shown as the introduction of the municipal website . A photograph of the balcony of the town hall, taken on 6 April 2006 , shows four flags: from left to right, the municipal flag (most probably, and therefore hoisted before official approval of its design), the Spanish national flag, the flag of La Rioja and the flag of the European Union.
Ivan Sache, 06 Mar 2003