Last modified: 2014-03-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: rus |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rus - Image by Ivan Sache, 30 June 2009
The municipality of Rus (3,807 inhabitants in 2007: 4,630 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-east of Jaén.
Most probably settled by the Phoenicians, subsequently fortified by the Iberians, the region of Rus was settled by several Roman villae (estates) that formed the Republica Ruradensium. The Visigoths built an oratory in the rocks of Valdecanales; the only hypogea kept in southern Spain, the sanctuary was proclaimed a National Monument on 21 March 1970. Following the Moorish conquest in 713, religious persecution against the Christians was ordered by Abderram‡n II; sacked and burned in 852, the hypogea was probably then used by the Mozarabs as a secrete place of worship. The Moors renamed the antique Ruradia Rus-al-Jabel and developed agriculture, building mills. They built at that time a triangular fortress, of which only one tower has remained. The town was mostly used as a camp during the wars between the Christians and the Moors; it could house several thousands soldiers and riders.
After the Christian reconquest, Rus was mentioned for the first time in 1280 in a document signed by knights Martín Fernández de Rus and Martín Pérez de Rus. In 1628, King Philip IV granted the title of villa (town) to Rus, which became independent of Baeza. The neighbouring village of El Marmól was incorporated to Rus in 1886; the villagers asked for secession in 1922 but the Provincial Court declared in 1927 El Marmól a submunicipal entity.
Ivan Sache, 30 June 2009
The flag of Rus, adopted on 28 December 2007 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 2 January 2008 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 15 January 2008 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 29 January 2008 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 20, pp. 30-31 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with the length one and a half the height, yellow (or) with a bend sable (black) of 1/5th of the hoist size. Centered and over the bend, the municipal coat of arms with a height equal to 1/2 of the flag's hoist.
The coat of arms of Rus is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 2,884 adopted on 28 October 1977 and published on 19 November 1977 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 277, p. 25,380 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Or a bend sable engulfed by dragons vert, a bordure gules inscribed in chief with the writing "R. P. RVRADENSIVM" in letters or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The black bend engulfed by the dragons recalls that Alvar Sánchez de Rus was made knight and granted arms by King Alfonso IX after the Battle of Salado; they represent honour, loyalty and bravery. The red bordure highlights the strong temper of the men and women of Rus, who shed their blood several times for their land. The writing recalls the Roman past of the town.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Jaén (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 5 July 2009