Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: cañaveral de león | crown: royal (closed) | plant: rushes (red) | rushes: eradicated (red) | 5 (red-white) | bicolor: vertical (purple-red) | division: pinned | castle (gold) | lion: rampant (purple) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Wikipedia Users:Apj and MiguelAngel fotografo, 01 Aug 2009
The municipality of Cañaveral de León (439 inhabitants in 2008; 3,500 ha) is located in the Sierra Morena, 135 km north-est of Huelva.
Cañaveral de León is part of a group of four sister villages, the three other ones, located in the Province of Badajoz (Extremadura), being Calera de León, Segura de León and Fuentes de León. All of them once belonged to the "Encomienda Mayor de León" (Greater Commandery of León), ruled by the Order of Santiago, commissioned by the Catholic Kings to watch the border with the Moorish states. In Spanish, "cañaveral" means "a place where reeds ["cañas"] grow."
The title of "villa" was granted to Cañaveral de León by King Philip II on 30 December 1588, which allowed the village to secede from Fuentes de León. Until 1833, the village was part of the Province of Badajoz. in the next years, Cañaveral de León had a big dispute with the neighbouring village of Hinojales for the ownership of the area known as "Umbría de Hinojales;" Hinojales eventually won the case in court and Cañaveral de León lost some 4,500 ha.
Source: Unofficial website by Regi Núñez
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009
The flag and arms of Cañaveral de León were approved by the Municipal Council on 29 September 2004 and submitted on 8 October 2004 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 28 October 2004, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 220 on 11 November 2004.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield divided per pale. 1. Or a common rush plant eradicated with three stems gules. 2. Argent a lion rampant purple langued and armed gules crowned or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 11 x 18, vertically pinned ("enclavijada") at 1/4 first purple second red. Centered overall, the local coat of arms.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not appended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA, No. 220, pp. 26,148-26,149, 11 Nov 2004
The coat of arms can be read as the rebus of the name of the village.
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009