Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: dehesas de guadix | tears: 8 (white) | stripes: 5 (unequal) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009
The municipality of Dehesas de Guadix (516 inhabitants in 2008; 7,200 ha) is located 120 km north-east of Granada, on the border with the Province of Jaén.
The name of the municipality (lit., "Guadix Pasture") appeared in 1888, but the area was already settled in prehistoric times, as proved by the remains excavated in the place called Terrera del Reloj. The settlement and the necropolis, made of 17 tombs including ceramics, pottery and bronze weapons, dates back to the Algar culture.
In the Moorish times, the village was significant during the rule of Muhammed XIII El Zagal (The Valiant), King of Granada in 1485-1486. El Zagal sold some of his territories to King Ferdinand in 1489, which were transferred to the Bishopric of Guadix. In the 16-17th centuries, the area was used as a pasture for horses, therefore the name given later to the village. José Requena purchased in 1840 the estate of Dehesas. The municipality eventually seceded from Alicún de Ortega at a yet disputed date.
Source: Granada Tourism website
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009
The flag and arms of Dehesas de Guadix were approved by the Municipal Council on 14 July 2004 and submitted on 15 July 2004 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 28 October 2004, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 155 on 9 August 2004.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Shiled divided per pale and grafted in base. 1. Argent a mount vert charged with a cave dwelling argent port and windows gules. 2. Or three olive trees eradicated vert placed 2 and 1. A base wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3 made of two equal horizontal stripes, the upper yellow and the lower green, with two triangles superimposed, blue on white, which have a common side at hoist and reach the horizontal axis of the flag at 1/3 and 1/2 of the flag length, respectively .
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not appended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA, No. 155, pp. 17,702-17,703, 09 Aug 2004
Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009