Last modified: 2010-10-08 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: spain | andalusia | iznájar | cordoba | stripes: 2 (vertical) | tower (white) | castle (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, after the municipal website, 30 Jul 2009
The municipality of Iznájar (4,810 inhabitants in 2008; 13,636 ha) is located 110 km south-east of Córdoba. The southernmost municipality in the Province of Córdoba, Iznájar is located at the geographical center of Andalusia. The historical center of the town, that is the former Moorish medina (fortified town) built around the castle and surrounded by two walls, has been officially listed among the "Seven Wonders of Córdoba" ("Siete maravillas de Córdoba").
The name of Iznájar is of Moorish origin, formed on "hisn," "castle," and "ashar," "happy"; some authors, however, believe that "ashar" is rather related to an anthroponym. The village was mentioned in the 9th century as involved in the Muladi revolt led by Umar ben Hafsún. Fed up by the sieges and successive changes in their ruler, the inhabitants of the village eventually beheaded their Muladi governor Fadl ben Salama and offerred his head to Emir Abd Allah as a mark of submission. King Fernando III the Saint could not reconquer Iznájar, which remained part of the Kingdom of Granada until the second half of the 15th century; as a border town, Iznájar was frequently conquered and lost, until eventually incorporated to the Kingdom of Castile by King John II. In 1468, King Henry IV granted the town to Diego Fernández de Córdoba, Count of Cabran, created Viscount of Iznájar, as a reward for his loyalty. The title of Viscount of Iznájar was granted by King John Charles I on 7 September 1983 to Álvaro López Becerra de Solé y de Casanova.
Iznájar is the birth town of the politician José Montilla Aguilera (b. 1955), First Secretary of the Catalan Socialist Party since 2000 and President of the Government of Catalonia since 2006.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 13 Jul 2009
The flag of Iznájar was approved by the Municipal Council on 13 January 2006 and submitted on 19 January 2006 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed it by Decree on 30 January 2006, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 28 on 10 February 2006.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3, made of a red panel, charged in the middle with a white castle masoned sable, covering 3/5 of the hoist and 1/5 of the length. On both sides of the castle are two green vertical stripes, as a stylization of the cypresses that flank it on the coat of arms, of 1/9 in length and located at 1/9 of the borders of the panel.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 28, pp. 25-26, 10 Feb 2006
A small image of the flag is shown on the front page of the municipal website.
Ivan Sache, 13 Jul 2009