Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: palacios de goda | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Palacios de Goda (476 inhabitants in 2006; 5,297 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north of Ávila, being one of the northernmost municipalities in the province.
In the time of King Alfonso VI (1040-1109), the village was part of the administrative division known as Sexmo of Sinabajos. The area was resettled by farmers of various origins (Franks, Castilians, Galicians, Mozarabs, Jews and Mudejars); they grew mostly grains but also, in a lesser extent, chick peas and lentils. The origin of the name "Palacios" is disputed. Most probably, there were in the village big and rich houses that compelled respect to the population, in spite of being small manors rather than "palaces." Another explanation claims that the village was built on remains of a Roman estate ("villa") then considered as the remains of a "palace". "Goda" seems to be of Wisigothic origin.
Several houses in the village have kept cellars, which indicates that wine-growing was once significant. Remains of defensive towers scattered all over the muncipal territory recall that there were in the past more isolated settlements than today.
The local hero is the worker Gregorio González, who led a local guerilla against the troops of Napoléon I in the 19th century.
Ivan Sache, 2 February 2009
The flag and arms of Palacios de Goda are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 14 April 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 26 September 2000 by the Mayor, and published on 5 October 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 194, p. 12,298 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, in size 1 m x 1 m (or proportional dimensions). On the Castilian red background, the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shape. Or an elm proper on a mound vert in base fructed argent attached to the trunk a greyhound argent, a bordure azure charged alternately with four palaces argent and four stalks or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 11 March 2011