Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: fuente el saúz | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Fuente el Saúz (251 inhabitants in 2006; 981 ha; 878 m a.s.l.) is located 50 km northwest of Ávila. The population of the village peaked to 450 inhabitants in 1960.
The local hero is Bishop Alonso Suárez de la Fuente del Sauce (d. 1520), appointed Inquisitor General in 1494, Bishop of Mondoñedo (1463), Lugo (1494) and Jaén (1500). Due to a quarrel between his family and the municipality of Jaén, the bishop rested as a mummy locked in a frame for four centuries, being properly buried only in 2001.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2009
The flag and arms of Fuente el Saúz are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 1 July 2003 by the Municipal Council, signed on 2 July 2003 by the Mayor, and published on 16 July 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 136, p. 10,043 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Flag with proportions 2:3, tierced at hoist. At fly, on the white panel, the municipal coat of arms in full colours; tierced at hoist, green with a yellow embattled stripe.
Coat of arms: Shield of Spanish shape. Gules an hexagonal fountain [fuente] with two zoomorphic waterpipes argent waves argent and azure surmounted by a willow [sauce] proper fimbriated or. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 3 January 2011